Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: April 25, 2016, 01:03:28 pm

Author Topic: Pot  (Read 2141 times)

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Pot
« on: April 05, 2016, 01:03:28 pm »
It's now socially and legally acceptable to smoke pot.  How often do you partake?
If every black male 18-35 applied for a conceal & carry permit, and then joined the NRA in one day; there would be gun control laws in a second.

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Pot
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:23:42 pm »
I personally don't partake or find it socially acceptable.  For those with addictive personalities, it certainly can be a gateway.

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 01:38:57 pm »
I snorted marijuana just once, under the influence of reefer madness I stole a car, robbed a bank, and conquered a small island nation, then died.

Marijuana, not even once
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 01:47:46 pm »
buck... this is a pretty thinly disguised poll to demonize those of us who choose not to cloud our minds with THC.
By characterizing our opposition as a fear of addiction, it reveals your own attempt to bias the results.

I have smoked pot. Not particularly proud of it, but I don't hide from it. I learned from it. Unfortunately those who keep smoking it havent.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 03:37:48 pm »
Ha, that truly wasn't my intent, however, I can change the poll if you're upset.
If every black male 18-35 applied for a conceal & carry permit, and then joined the NRA in one day; there would be gun control laws in a second.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 03:40:17 pm »
never.
not because of some moral high ground, I just don't have a desire to.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 04:30:31 pm »
Ha, that truly wasn't my intent, however, I can change the poll if you're upset.

Well, I see you changed the poll. But I still cant check a box. I already admitted to past use, so I cant check never. Dont they teach polling at Lehigh?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 04:45:15 pm »
As someone who the only math they studied in college was stats I would say this poll has very disappointing answers.

2/10
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 05:03:30 pm »
Tough crowd.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 06:29:57 pm »

Well, I see you changed the poll. But I still cant check a box. I already admitted to past use, so I cant check never. Dont they teach polling at Lehigh?

Sure you can. The question is "How often do you" not "How often have you".

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 07:00:06 pm »

Sure you can. The question is "How often do you" not "How often have you".
Thanks for that correction Ray!

Now... can you correct that  edit function?  ;)

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 12:19:31 am »
For own daughter, she started smoking pot at age 15, then moved on to pills and now age 19 is addicted to heroin.  Most people can probably mess with pot and not have issues, but she isn't one of them.  Tried rehab, outpatient, NA meetings, etc.  She is probably going to die.  For me drug issues are not a laughing matter.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 03:13:07 pm »
For own daughter, she started smoking pot at age 15, then moved on to pills and now age 19 is addicted to heroin.  Most people can probably mess with pot and not have issues, but she isn't one of them.  Tried rehab, outpatient, NA meetings, etc.  She is probably going to die.  For me drug issues are not a laughing matter.

I feel for you and agree that for some drug issues arent' laughing matters, but I'd also be willing to bet this person was predisposed to substance abuse issues.  Something in her make up as a person, and that while pot may have been the start for her it could have just as easily been alcohol or any number of substances that started her down that road.  I honestly do wish you and her the best. 

As for me, never really cared for pot socially, i'd rather drink around people but I'd be a medical user if that were possible.  Anxiety, stress, headaches, and insomnia are all helped, for me not everyone, by one or two hits.  Don't care for being overly high, and not having the feeling of control or losing track of time, but for me I enjoy some of it's properties.  a week or two back I went home from work with a migraine (I'm not a chronic sufferer of them so when they hit I don't deal with it well).  Dark room, slept, cool towel, food, shower, more sleep.  6 hours later was still battling the feeling that my eyes were going to pop out of my skull.  1 hit and a half hour later the headache had subsided. 
When work stress is keeping me up nights, its' the only sleeping aid I want to take.  Don't like OTC sleeping aids, make me feel groggy and logey the next day, never trust I'm going to wake up on time or sleep through my alarm.  1 or 2 hits and my mind stops worrying about work and what I have to do and I slip away. 

Again, that's for me.  I'd never make the assumption it's the same for everyone, which is my stance on many things and why I believe people should govern themselves and their loved ones more than relying on the government to make blanket laws for everyone.   I'd also guess I'm the exception to the rule and many more people like it recreationally more than just wanting to go to sleep before 2 in the morning.

I'm a big fat fatty who has serious issues with sugar and carbs in his diet.  I know it's terrible for me.  I need to change my habits or it is going to kill me.  I dont' feel that no one else should be able to enjoy a Snickers ever again just because I'd like to eat 6 of them in one sitting.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 04:54:52 pm by fuhr »
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2016, 06:56:06 pm »

Let's hope not.  My wife's brother went the same route.  He came in and out of rehab and finally went to prison.  That woke him up and he was able to get clean and get away from those "friends" he had.   But it took years to get to that point.  Getting rid of the so called friends is key I think.  He has been battle scarred by heroin and those scars still affect him but he has been off of it for years now.  He has a steady job.  Before he was homeless sleeping in public bathrooms and stealing stuff.  Now he is a pretty decent person with a house, yard, and family. 

Unfortunately, she will have to make the decision to stop.  Hopefully she makes the right decision soon and can get help and finds strength with you and your wife and ditches the "friends". 

I agree, drug issues are no laughing matter.  Not at all. 

mspart

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 10:58:00 pm »
She has court review for petty theft.  If lucky she will get some jail since her last UA is probably hot.