Author Topic: Part One of my Folkstyle is the USA series  (Read 9521 times)

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Part One of my Folkstyle is the USA series
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:11:21 PM »
I don't fall into the get rid of folkstyle camp.  I also agree that wrestling doesn't necessarily attract the best athletes. 

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 12:33:32 AM »
I thought about commenting until I read your next to last sentence. What's the point of submitting an invalid argument?
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline LILHOWDOG

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 01:18:30 AM »

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
Of the 10 champs this year how many are good athletes?

125:  Mega - no
133:  Garrett - yes
141:  Heil - yes
149:  Retherford - no
157:  Martinez - yes
165:  Deringer - yes
174:  Martin - yes
184:  Dean - yes
197:  Cox - yes
285:  Snyder - yes
We are the storm.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 12:21:16 PM »
Of the 10 champs this year how many are good athletes?

125:  Mega - no
133:  Garrett - yes
141:  Heil - yes
149:  Retherford - no
157:  Martinez - yes
165:  Deringer - yes
174:  Martin - yes
184:  Dean - yes
197:  Cox - yes
285:  Snyder - yes

This is interesting.  Tell us how you determine who is and who isnt a good athletic. And why for instance is Heil an athlete and Retherford isnt.  And while Im at it, can you think of one African American AA wrestler that you think isnt a good athlete?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 02:24:10 PM »
Earl Hall is not a good athlete. 

Retherford is very awkward, can hardly throw and catch a ball.  Wrestling is the only sport where he could achieve greatness.  Megaludis , if you watch, runs like a spaz.

Heil, i'm just guessing by his movements is a pretty good athlete.  Could be wrong.
We are the storm.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 02:28:55 PM »
Earl Hall is not a good athlete. 

Retherford is very awkward, can hardly throw and catch a ball.  Wrestling is the only sport where he could achieve greatness.  Megaludis , if you watch, runs like a spaz.

Heil, i'm just guessing by his movements is a pretty good athlete.  Could be wrong.

A: Why do you say Hall is not a good athlete. I bet Cory Brewer thinks he's a pretty good athlete.

B: The only difference I see between Heil's athleticism vs Retherford's and Niko's.. . is the color of that singlet.  I think I detect a PSU bias here buck.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 02:36:13 PM »
No not really, but I will say many of the PSU kids are wrestlers first and athletes second.  Exception being McIntosh, who I think is a very fine athlete.  Megaludis truly is a goof, but a very fine wrestler.  Same for Retherford.   I've seen enough of Earl (WD40) Hall to say he's pretty much just a wrestler.

Obviously none of this is fact based, just me being a dick.  But I'm normally right about these type of things.
We are the storm.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »
What defines a good athlete?

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 03:02:28 PM »
We had that question in a sport psycholgy class I took in college.  What makes a good athlete, and the second piece was what attributes would you look for to have the widest amount of crossover with several sports?

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 03:07:19 PM »
You know it when you see it.  Watch a major league shortstop if you want to see superior athletes.

A college strength coach talked about an exchange he had had with an athlete, which went something like this:

Athlete: Coach, can you make me fast?

Coach: No.

Athlete: Why not?

Coach: I can only make you faster-ER or strong-ER. You are either born fast or slow, so I can’t help you with that.

Wrestling is a sport where you can achieve great things by working hard without necessarily having superior athletic skills.  Jordan Burroughs throwing a baseball is not a pretty sight.

We are the storm.

Offline fuhr

• LXP
  • Global Moderator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 03:17:25 PM »
You know it when you see it.  Watch a major league shortstop if you want to see superior athletes.

A college strength coach talked about an exchange he had had with an athlete, which went something like this:

Athlete: Coach, can you make me fast?

Coach: No.

Athlete: Why not?

Coach: I can only make you faster-ER or strong-ER. You are either born fast or slow, so I can’t help you with that.

Wrestling is a sport where you can achieve great things by working hard without necessarily having superior athletic skills.  Jordan Burroughs throwing a baseball is not a pretty sight.

And Clayton Kershaw attempting to hit a double leg is not a pretty sight.  I'd bet a dollar give them each the same amount of time to practice the other and Burroughs will look a lot prettier throwing a ball than Kershaw will shooting a double.
Since Jammen has told me twice to change my signature, I can only assume his wrestling knowledge is no longer something I can count on along with pizza and beer.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 03:17:39 PM »
You know it when you see it.

Since you seem to regard it very differently than I do, that really doesn't cut it.

I'm wondering how many pro baseball players can throw a pretty headlock.  This just seems like saying that an apple is not an orange.