Author Topic: What happened to Brandon HS?  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
What happened to Brandon HS?
« on: July 02, 2016, 05:09:16 PM »
It seems to me, ever since they boycotted Fargo, they kind of dropped off the face of the Earth.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Brandon HS?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 05:24:02 PM »
From my understanding they are still pretty dominate in Florida. I'd have to ask my friend whose family is big in the Florida wrestling scene about it to know any more. Brandon is a sore subject with him because he lost to a Brandon wrestler in the state finals and one of his brothers lost I think twice to a Brandon wrestler in the semifinals
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 12:33:01 AM »
Two seasons ago, I thought they were going ro have their best team ever.  As it turned out, The Lucas family moved back to Oklahoma where Dylan and Ty both won state titles and helped the team win the championship.  Two other kids transferred to Admiral Faragut in St. Pete and won 1A state titles.  Two incoming freshmen from the club team opted to attend other schools and won state titles.  Jim Graves told Russ that he would actually have to coach that year, instead of just lining the team up and blowing away the competition.  They won the 2a title, but were the second best team in the state behind South Dade.

They were hit by the injury bug last season and had several starters out off and on during the course of the season and had several holes in the lineup.  Lake Gibson came from behind to squeak past Brandon to win both the district and regional titles.  It was the first district loss for Brandon since 1974 and the first region loss since (I think) 1980 or 1981 (I could be wrong about that).  They took seven kids to state (with three kids one win short of qualifying) who peaked at the right time.  One of the seven had to win in overtime to qualify and one made it in part because the two highest ranked kids in the region were bumped out prior to competing (one barely missed weight and the other had ringworm and wasn't allowed to compete).  All seven kids that made it to state finished in the top three and Brandon won the 2A team title by 19 points over Fort Myers Riverdale (no one else was close).  1A champ Lake Highland Prep (Orlando) was the best team in the state and 3A champ South Dade was the next best team.  LHP should have almost everyone back next season and should be highly ranked nationally, especially if they can fill a couple of holes.

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 12:48:22 AM »
Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure Sarasota won the region in 1989 when they won the state title, but I'm too lazy to dig through my files to verify.

Offline Snackem

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
    • Jeremy Lanthorn Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 01:27:58 AM »
why did they boycott fargo?

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 08:32:51 AM »
I don't know if I'd call it a boycott, but they haven't attended in the last couple of years.  I don't know for sure, but I've heard rumors that they were tired of providing funding to the association for the rest of the state to attend.  They also have fewer national caliber horses than in previous years, so it probably made more sense to attend Disney for a lot of kids to get experience than to send them across the country for several two and outs, especially if the best couple of kids were hurt or needed a rest.

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 04:40:41 PM »
Anthony Artalona just won Fargo junior freestyle.  He was a Brandon Wrestling Club kid, but attends Tampa Prep high school.

Offline highschoolwrestling

• Bantam
  • I coach.
    • View Profile
    • HighSchoolWrestlingMatches.com
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 09:36:29 AM »
Why did they boycott Fargo?  This is the first I've heard of this.
Here's a cool article about Fargo, the toughest high school tournament in America. Here's a cool article about Fargo, the toughest high school tournament in America.https://highschoolwrestlingblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/fargo-wrestling-tournament/