Author Topic: Apology for down time.  (Read 6213 times)

Offline Indiana Wrestler

• LXP
  • National Team
    • View Profile
Re: Apology for down time.
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 10:58:20 PM »
every now and then im re-directed to another website... still some issues?

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 10:59:59 PM »
It's issues that eventually won't be an issue. It happens.
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Offline Julio

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 12:24:11 AM »
I'm pretty pumped you guys are back up.  Nice to be back at a place where if you write a thread one day, it will more than likely not be gone the next.
"The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist"

Ron Reagan

Offline racebannon

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 01:22:43 AM »
we need to get big apple over here he has a ton of inside info and is a intellegent poster

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 01:42:41 AM »
Quote from: "Indiana Wrestler"
If it's the DNS2GO site, then yes, that's a known issue which will be resolved.  This should rarely happen; I've been working with this server for about 8 years, now, and it's been very reliable, in general.  We had significant downtime several years ago when a hard drive failed, but other than that, I can't remember another time when we had the kinds of problems we've had in the past few days.  Very bad luck, I'm afraid, and very embarrassing (despite a good many kind and patient remarks).

Once we can afford a dedicated server (or two), any downtime will probably be my fault.  I intend not to be at fault much.  :-)   Or, at any rate, if the server itself really is at fault, we'll be able to go yell at the people we're paying.  At the moment, we're hosted out of friendship on a normally-reliable box in someone's basement.  The good side of this is, I have root access, and have done a good deal of work configuring the system to my needs as an administrator.  But the arrangement has its limitations.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 11:04:19 AM »
Quote from: "Ray Brinzer"
Quote from: "Indiana Wrestler"
If it's the DNS2GO site, then yes, that's a known issue which will be resolved.  This should rarely happen; I've been working with this server for about 8 years, now, and it's been very reliable, in general.  We had significant downtime several years ago when a hard drive failed, but other than that, I can't remember another time when we had the kinds of problems we've had in the past few days.  Very bad luck, I'm afraid, and very embarrassing (despite a good many kind and patient remarks).

Once we can afford a dedicated server (or two), any downtime will probably be my fault.  I intend not to be at fault much.  :-)   Or, at any rate, if the server itself really is at fault, we'll be able to go yell at the people we're paying.  At the moment, we're hosted out of friendship on a normally-reliable box in someone's basement.  The good side of this is, I have root access, and have done a good deal of work configuring the system to my needs as an administrator.  But the arrangement has its limitations.

Thats a new one. A computer geek with cauliflower ears.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 10:08:30 AM »
I just caught the server in the midst of locking up, and was able to fix the problem.

Offline Rockhard

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://www.theowf.net
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 11:47:29 AM »
I just caught the server in the midst of locking up, and was able to fix the problem.

So you blast doubled the server?
"Really? Well please tell your father-in-law that he is a freaking idiot."

Drooke

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 12:10:56 AM »
Quote from: "Rockhard"

So you blast doubled the server?

Or, he won the ball grab.