Author Topic: State tournaments  (Read 6667 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: State tournaments
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 05:11:05 PM »
How many classifications does Oregon have?

Do you think thats too many, just right, or not enough?

Right now, with the way they have the numbers broke up, we could go back to 3 and still be alright. We could combine 6A/5A, then 4A and then combine 3A/2A/1A. We might end up combining the bottom 3 but who knows.

6A-4A have 16 man brackets, 3A has a 12 man and 2A has an 8man. Our biggest issue is that our private schools pretty much don't support wrestling and the bulk of them are in the 3A division. So we only have like 30 teams for wrestling, but have like 42 teams in 3A. 2A/1A are very small programs with 190 kids or less, but the bulk of them have over 100 or so kids, while 3A consists of schools with only 280 or less, with a few with over 300. And that's boys and girls combined.

However, despite the 5 classes, we have a well attended state tournament with over 9000 fans annually.
We have 4 in Oklahoma and we're about the same size as Oregon. I think 4 classes is too many and would like to see us go back to 3.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline DiMaria

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Sardinia Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 06:17:31 PM »
In my opinion, two classes/divisions should be enough for most states.  Three, four and even five are way too much.
"Find something you love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

-Confucius

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 06:06:16 PM »
I think some states can support three.  At one time Colorado jumped from three classes to five which was ridiculous.  A few years later they pared back to four.  Up until the early 1990's there were only 5 or 6 four time champs.  Now there are 17.

Offline highschoolwrestling

• Bantam
  • I coach.
    • View Profile
    • HighSchoolWrestlingMatches.com
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 09:50:23 AM »
My problem with CA's system is, they literally have no small schools with wrestling. Their idea of a small school in CA is 1000 kids or more, when the bulk of the top teams have 2000-4000 HS kids.
Love your Avatar.
Here's a cool article about Fargo, the toughest high school tournament in America. Here's a cool article about Fargo, the toughest high school tournament in America.https://highschoolwrestlingblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/03/fargo-wrestling-tournament/