Author Topic: Burroughs  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Jerry Callo

• World Bronze
    • View Profile
Re: Burroughs
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 04:24:30 PM »
If Burroughs is through - don't you think Dieringer is the most likely heir apparent?
Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »
If Burroughs announces he is done, I believe Dake and Taylor both head back down to 74kg. I also believe Howe is slightly ahead of Dieringer for now.

The heir apparent would be Kyle Dake.

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 05:00:13 PM »
After this weekend I honestly don't think Burroughs wants to go to 2020 but obviously I can't exactly know that

I would say either Dieringer or Taylor is the heir apparent. I'm one of those "Dake should go Greco" guys
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 05:12:14 PM »
Right now probably isn't the best time for any athlete that had high Olympic aspirations and fell short to make any retirement decisions.  Maybe he will get the old hunger back in a year.  Who knows?

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 11:52:02 AM »
I think it is a little early to be talking heir apparent.  JB has some time to figure things out and see what  he wants to do. 

mspart

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 01:18:44 PM »
I'm going the other way.  I think he makes some changes, but I see him being more driven to go through 2020 than ever now.

Offline SingletSlinger

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 03:37:46 PM »
JB ain't going nowhere, you guys really are wrestling dumb. Stick to things you at least can fake with shitty articles in the politics section.
Bunch of snowflakes run this board, sad how the mods cater to people that support one political party.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 04:21:10 PM »
JB ain't going nowhere, you guys really are wrestling dumb. Stick to things you at least can fake with shitty articles in the politics section.

Obviously it's easy to assume his career is done after a disappointing showing, I'm sure the talk will die down next time he dominates an international tournament
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 04:48:02 PM »
Was Burroughs head butted by the Russian?

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2016, 04:52:27 PM »
Any idea/word on why he performed badly? World Champ in 2015 to did not even place in 2016? Any word on injury or illness?
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2016, 05:29:58 PM »
Any idea/word on why he performed badly? World Champ in 2015 to did not even place in 2016? Any word on injury or illness?

He didn't look himself, some people are theorizing he may have had a concussion if not that it's possible he had a really bad flu

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2016, 07:13:13 PM »

I thought maybe he just gave up. The match with the Russian was pretty close, right? And that guy only lost to Burroughts by 1 pt at the world championships last year. However, then he got tech falled the next match.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2016, 07:29:33 PM »
Everything is speculation.  I could see not having your head in the game after losing a very close match and having expectations of winning gold. 

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 07:30:53 PM »

I thought maybe he just gave up. The match with the Russian was pretty close, right? And that guy only lost to Burroughts by 1 pt at the world championships last year. However, then he got tech falled the next match.

Does a world champ of JB's caliber give up like that?  I would find that hard to believe.  I didn't see the matches yet but will when I have time.  But I read themat.com forums where they were commenting and most all said he did not look right.  Perhaps he gave up but I think that goes against his nature.

mspart

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 07:41:26 PM »

Does a world champ of JB's caliber give up like that?  I would find that hard to believe.  I didn't see the matches yet but will when I have time.  But I read themat.com forums where they were commenting and most all said he did not look right.  Perhaps he gave up but I think that goes against his nature.

mspart

I don't know that giving up is the right term for it, but his reaction to the loss to Geduev (which I agree wasn't that odd...he let the score get too far away from him and got beat by a very good wrestler) was extremely emotional, going over to his family.  Based on that and his post tournament statements, I think he put a lot of pressure on himself to win gold and, when that was no longer possible, just didn't have anything left.  Maybe if he scored first against Bekzod it would have been different, but momentum is a two way street and it snowballed on him in a bad way.  Even Burroughs is not immune to bad thoughts running through his head and hurting his performance, I can only imagine what he felt as he got further and further behind.