Author Topic: The end of Geduev/Yazdani  (Read 945 times)

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
The end of Geduev/Yazdani
« on: August 19, 2016, 06:29:20 PM »
I've been trying to figure out exactly what happened and this is as near as I can tell after the final sequence started with Geduev up 6-4:

- Yazdani shoots in and gets a leg, but is largely blocked off.  Almost immediately the Russians throw a challenge.  The announcer (who has proven clueless many times) says the Russians thought Geduev got an exposure, but I didn't see anything close.  Speculation elsewhere is they were trying to get a stoppage to keep the Iranian from scoring two.

- The official allows action to continue, regardless of the challenge and, with less than 10 seconds left, the Iranian gets a takedown to take the lead, 6-6 on criteria.  This call was highly suspect, I didn't think it was a takedown, and I assumed the Russians, who still had the challenge block on the mat would challenge it. 

- When the action stopped, with 3 seconds remaining, according to TR Foley on twitter, the Russians CHOSE NOT TO CHALLENGE BECAUSE THEY MISREAD THE SCOREBOARD!

- Action started again, and the match ended. 

- Now the Russian coach is on the mat demanding to challenge the takedown, apparently just now aware that his man was losing!

- Russia is not allowed to challenge because they missed their chance, coach eventually gets a red card for failing to leave the mat and Iran wins the gold!

INSANE!  How many times are we going to see coaches fail to keep track of what is going on/who is winning while their man is wrestling?  Possibly cost Geduev the gold medal!

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: The end of Geduev/Yazdani
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 09:09:52 PM »
I think that yes the original challenge by Russia was an attempt to prevent the Yazdani takedown, however I do think that was a takedown by Yazdani at the end.

I was amazed by the Russians not challenging considering there was three seconds left, you always challenge there even if you're wrong.

I do think that the challenge rules are extremely Draconian, for once I think they were properly implemented here but as a whole it should be easier to challenge a call.

If I'm the Russian wrestling federation and prone to hot blooded Russian decision making I would not be surprised to see them basically crucify the coach for this mistake, especially considering it was his first cycle.
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Silver
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
Re: The end of Geduev/Yazdani
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 11:26:10 PM »
I believe the challenge attempt was to try to get a whistle on the takedown to prevent it from happening.

Yes, the Russian coach did say "NO" to the challenge when the stuffed animal was handed back, only to go livid when he realized Geduev was losing on criteria.

What also wasn't considered was the UWW doctor was about to call the match because of the blood issue, but here's the thing, he's a native Iranian who's lived in Canada for a very long time. That would have made things very, very uncomfortable.

BTW, I met the doc. He's a stand-up guy and I don't think nationalism played a role in his potential calling of the match medically.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg