Gomez
« on: August 21, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »
Screwed, at least 2-2.

Offline Bob H.

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Gomez
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:29:30 AM »
Yeah, the downside of international wrestling.  Very political.  That, and freestyle can be very subjective.

Of course, I'm biased because I'm a Brandon guy, but it seemed as if all of the ref's calls favored his opponent.  He was put on the shot clock almost immediately, even though the other guy wasn't doing anything either.  The 2 + 1 after that was probably the right call, but it would have been better if he had called the two and then the one later, instead of waiting for them to go out of bounds and then call 2 + 1.  The final call was strange, the crowd didn't like it and the one mat judge was adamant that it should have been 2 for blue.  One of the things I don't like about freestyle - the JV heavyweight backwards roll often counts for back points in favor of the guy who rolled through his back.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:20:59 AM »
Doesn't make it through to repechage.

Offline Jointdoc55

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
  • Loyalty, integrity & strength through brotherhood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 11:43:17 AM »
Yeah, the downside of international wrestling.  Very political.  That, and freestyle can be very subjective.

Of course, I'm biased because I'm a Brandon guy, but it seemed as if all of the ref's calls favored his opponent.  He was put on the shot clock almost immediately, even though the other guy wasn't doing anything either.  The 2 + 1 after that was probably the right call, but it would have been better if he had called the two and then the one later, instead of waiting for them to go out of bounds and then call 2 + 1.  The final call was strange, the crowd didn't like it and the one mat judge was adamant that it should have been 2 for blue.  One of the things I don't like about freestyle - the JV heavyweight backwards roll often counts for back points in favor of the guy who rolled through his back.
I'm not a "Brandon guy", and I agree with you. The matches of his that I saw were as you said.

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 01:17:07 PM »
Can someone fill me in?

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 02:32:56 PM »
A bit a scramble at the end.  Gomez ended up on top of the Uzbeki with his shoulders exposed out of bounds.  You'd have to see the replay.  Gomez challenged,  The officials at the table couldn't agree on how to score it. The first challenge official gave Gomez 2 then another official argued.  They went back and forth and finally awarded the Uzbeki 2 and Gomez 0. It could have gone 2-2, 2-1 or 0-2. Gomez denied and it cost him another point.

Offline Bob H.

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 02:38:35 PM »
The way I saw it was Gomez attacked the legs and drove the Uzbeki out of bounds.  As he was going out (I thought one foot was out), the Uzbeki did the old JV heavyweight roll through his back, rolling Gomez with him.  Gomez kept moving and finished on top. 

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »
Gomez got jobbed
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline SingletSlinger

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 09:38:47 PM »
Hey they sent the refs packing there....that will show them.

Yazdani got hosed also.
Bunch of snowflakes run this board, sad how the mods cater to people that support one political party.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 10:11:55 AM »
Hey they sent the refs packing there....that will show them.

Yazdani got hosed also.

The ref that hosed Yazdani was also removed as I understand it.  In the moment, thats all UWW can do, but now that the tournament is over they need to make sure that 1) If it was corruption and not just ineptitude that there are serious consequences for both the officials and countries involved and 2) If it was ineptitude that they figure out  how to test these officials BEFORE they get to an international tournament, much less the Olympics.  With video review, there really is no excuse.

Offline SingletSlinger

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 10:19:23 AM »
The refs are put through the ringer to get selected for the Olympics. I'm sure like anything else some get a "boost" from outside sources.
Bunch of snowflakes run this board, sad how the mods cater to people that support one political party.