Author Topic: Mongolian Protest  (Read 4125 times)

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
Re: Mongolian Protest
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 11:01:49 AM »
The egregious error here appears to be that UWW had been giving everyone direction (including US coaches at the Olympic trials) that the fleeing caution and 1 in the last 30 seconds would only be given after an attention (like the attention Snyder got in the gold medal match).  The Mongolian got no such warning, just the point called against him.  UWW relies on interpretation and direction to keep its rules up to date (freestyle/Greco has always been that way) so, if that direction was given, this call was especially bad.

If that's the case then it's even worse. Any word on if Mongolia filed a formal protest?

This is what we have been instructed all year and reinforced at Fargo (which was a UWW upgrade clinic and tournament).  We have been told to give an "attention" prior to asking for a caution + 1 for fleeing the hold (usually occurs late in second period).  It puts the wrestler and coaches on notice that if they continue not engaging they can be hit.  I feel it has been pretty consistent that way in the USA this year.  We were also told that if we did not stop the match and give an attention prior to offering the penalty, then that would be a procedural error which could be protestable.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 07:41:44 PM »
Is that when they give the staller :30 to score or lose a point?

That seemed like one of the most ridiculous rules I've ever seen. I'm guessing it won't last too long. I watched quite a few matches over the weekend and every single time that happened I just saw the opponent of the guy who originally stalled, stall for the entire :30, making it impossible for the guy who originally stalled to score. Every single time (that I saw) he then got a point. Why waste the :30? In fact, it seemed like half the time the guy that was penalized barely even tried to score because he knew he couldn't do it when the guy is being that passive.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 10:06:19 PM »

That seemed like one of the most ridiculous rules I've ever seen. I'm guessing it won't last too long. I watched quite a few matches over the weekend and every single time that happened I just saw the opponent of the guy who originally stalled, stall for the entire :30, making it impossible for the guy who originally stalled to score. Every single time (that I saw) he then got a point. Why waste the :30? In fact, it seemed like half the time the guy that was penalized barely even tried to score because he knew he couldn't do it when the guy is being that passive.

This is a good point.

If my opponent gets put on the shot clock for stalling, I'm thinking "Great, all the pressure to shoot is on him now.  So, I'm going to stall like hell for the remainder of the period since I know I'm not going to be called on it."

This, will counteract with the original intent.  Now, you'll have a guy unwilling to score and another guy unable to score.

It will turn into an even more of a stall fest.

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2016, 07:49:38 AM »

No. Fleeing the hold is different than a shot clock violation.

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2016, 08:13:57 AM »

This is a good point.

If my opponent gets put on the shot clock for stalling, I'm thinking "Great, all the pressure to shoot is on him now.  So, I'm going to stall like hell for the remainder of the period since I know I'm not going to be called on it."

This, will counteract with the original intent.  Now, you'll have a guy unwilling to score and another guy unable to score.

It will turn into an even more of a stall fest.
As was discussed with it's introduction the shot clock essentially took the place of the ball grab. I wasn't able to keep up with the scoring changes as I didn't know the place of cautions in tie breaking. In Cox's losing match he lost on tie breaks by failing to score when on the shot clock. Ironically, if he had stepped out instead of failing to score he would have been ahead on tie breaks by virtue of last score.
Cox testified that he didn't know he was losing on tiebreaks, but instead thought he was winning, having scored last. I wouldn't have known he was losing either except the announcer, bless him, who had trouble calling the action, at least knew the tiebreaking criteria and was on top of keeping the audience informed in that regard.

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2016, 08:17:18 AM »
This fan could use a primer on "warning", "caution", and "attention".

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 07:03:13 PM »

In short:

Warning:  verbal stimulation such as "Red, Action", "Blue Open"

Attention:  A formal warning putting a wrestler on notice that continuing such action will result in a penalty.  ie:  Blue in Par Terre close to the boundary:  "Blue, Place"  If blue continues to go out of bounds they will likely be hit for fleeing the mat.  In this match, an attention should have been given putting the wrestler on notice that his actions were fleeing the hold.  If he continued avoiding contact, or taunting, a penalty should follow.

Caution:  The penalty.  Can be from fleeing the mat, hold, illegal holds ect.  A caution is used and the followed up by points (1 or 2).  Cautions factor into the disqualification process and tiebreaker criteria.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2016, 07:10:56 PM »

In short:

Attention:  A formal warning putting a wrestler on notice that continuing such action will result in a penalty.  ie:  Blue in Par Terre close to the boundary:  "Blue, Place"  If blue continues to go out of bounds they will likely be hit for fleeing the mat.  In this match, an attention should have been given putting the wrestler on notice that his actions were fleeing the hold.  If he continued avoiding contact, or taunting, a penalty should follow.

Caution:  The penalty.  Can be from fleeing the mat, hold, illegal holds ect.  A caution is used and the followed up by points (1 or 2).  Cautions factor into the disqualification process and tiebreaker criteria.

So are you saying he should have been given an "attention" before penalizing him, even when it is that blatant?
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 07:42:40 PM »

In short:

So are you saying he should have been given an "attention" before penalizing him, even when it is that blatant?

That is the direction from UWW, yes.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 09:05:15 AM »
In case you had not noticed, the Mongolian congratulated the Uzbeki several times after the bout, though he refused the official hand raising in protest of the penalty point. 

Here another peek.  Unfortunately you'll have to sit through an NBC commercial.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/mongolian-coaches-protest-loss-removing-shirts-pants?cid=eref:nbcnews:video

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 08:39:43 PM »
In case you had not noticed, the Mongolian congratulated the Uzbeki several times after the bout, though he refused the official hand raising in protest of the penalty point. 

Here another peek.  Unfortunately you'll have to sit through an NBC commercial.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/mongolian-coaches-protest-loss-removing-shirts-pants?cid=eref:nbcnews:video

EPIC!
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell