Author Topic: Mongolian Protest  (Read 4263 times)

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Mongolian Protest
« on: August 21, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen coaches protest through stripping before

Also I think the Mongolians are completely right here people circle and celebrate early every tournament and it has happened several times already you can't just decide to call that with one second left completely changing the result.

It was a beautiful match leading up to that too
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline Bob H.

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Mongolian Protest
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 01:27:41 PM »
The Uzbek wrestler benefitted from some favorable calls against Gomez, then wins this way - the equivalent of a 2 point stall call at the buzzer in folkstyle.

Even though it was tacky, I enjoyed the hell out of the Mongolian protest.

Offline pipewrench

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 05:18:55 PM »
That was AWESOME.  and a bullshit call for the penalty pt. 
*Insert clever or inspirational quote here*

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 06:06:39 PM »
I rip off my clothes at Outback when my steak is undercooked.
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 07:18:19 PM »
A couple people are telling me it's a traditional Mongol protest and it makes sense. It's a sort of "you've already cheated me, might as well take my clothes as well"

I should totally try the stripping thing the next time I challenge a call, looks like fun
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline Bob H.

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 09:35:49 PM »
I'm glad he stopped while he was still wearing his underwear.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 10:09:16 PM »
I was hoping for a Bobby Knight
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 10:35:11 PM »
So the version I was watching didn't have any commentary and I was wondering what they were protesting. Sorry, I'm not up-to-date on the international rules. Was the call for passivity or celebrating during the match? He was obviously doing both.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline Bob H.

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 08:36:32 AM »
It was for "refusing to engage" - basically a passivity call.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 08:37:48 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-kFg86S6ww

In my opinion the Uzbek wasn't really trying to engage himself

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 09:06:10 AM »
So the version I was watching didn't have any commentary and I was wondering what they were protesting. Sorry, I'm not up-to-date on the international rules. Was the call for passivity or celebrating during the match? He was obviously doing both.
We see dancing away from an opponent in the final seconds fairly often. It's rarely called, but there is the danger that it COULD BE. In this case the combination of the celebratory fist pumps and the Uzbeki wrestler turning to face the referee with arms spread and a questioning look on his face may have spurred the referee to take his action.

Whether the referee was "ready and waiting" for some way to give the Uzbeki wrestler the win, as some are claiming, I'll leave to others.

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 09:13:38 AM »
It was for "refusing to engage" - basically a passivity call.

Fleeing the hold was the call for not engaging/contact.  Caution + 1.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 10:04:11 AM »
The egregious error here appears to be that UWW had been giving everyone direction (including US coaches at the Olympic trials) that the fleeing caution and 1 in the last 30 seconds would only be given after an attention (like the attention Snyder got in the gold medal match).  The Mongolian got no such warning, just the point called against him.  UWW relies on interpretation and direction to keep its rules up to date (freestyle/Greco has always been that way) so, if that direction was given, this call was especially bad.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 10:49:31 AM »
The egregious error here appears to be that UWW had been giving everyone direction (including US coaches at the Olympic trials) that the fleeing caution and 1 in the last 30 seconds would only be given after an attention (like the attention Snyder got in the gold medal match).  The Mongolian got no such warning, just the point called against him.  UWW relies on interpretation and direction to keep its rules up to date (freestyle/Greco has always been that way) so, if that direction was given, this call was especially bad.

If that's the case then it's even worse. Any word on if Mongolia filed a formal protest?

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 10:55:50 AM »
A couple people are telling me it's a traditional Mongol protest and it makes sense. It's a sort of "you've already cheated me, might as well take my clothes as well"

I should totally try the stripping thing the next time I challenge a call, looks like fun

I hope this becomes the norm in protesting/challenging bad calls.

Awaiting the next time Bill Belichick argues a holding call.