Author Topic: Who You Got as the "Most Valuable Wrestler"?  (Read 5488 times)

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Who You Got as the "Most Valuable Wrestler"?
« on: September 02, 2016, 01:54:18 PM »
http://news.theopenmat.com/college-wrestling-news/top-5-valuable-ncaa-wrestlers-2016-17/59171
Is it Zain Retherford or does someone else deserve to hold the #1 Spot?

Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out of 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: Who You Got as the "Most Valuable Wrestler"?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 05:27:50 PM »
Geez, where have I been.  I never heard diddlysquat about Kyle Snyder not returning to Ohio State

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 06:16:38 PM »
Geez, where have I been.  I never heard diddlysquat about Kyle Snyder not returning to Ohio State

Nobody reads the articles...

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 07:20:56 AM »
Oh I read it.

" The most valuable wrestlers in the NCAA all have high bonus point rates and are likely to stand on the top of the podium at the end of the year. These are the five most valuable NCAA wrestlers around."

To infer Snyder isn't going to score and score big is ...................

He had a fall, a Tfall and a major in 5 bouts at the championships
2 Tfalls out of 3 at B1Gs.
Scored 20 points or more in 7 of 11 matches
There are probably 3 other heavies that he wont at least major and solely because he'll be giving away 60 lbs.

I'll lay odds he's in the top 5 for team points on the board at the end of the season.

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 05:50:21 PM »
If he returns

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 06:04:49 PM »
Just saying it honestly would not surprise if Snyder decides to forego finishing out college to focus on freestyle. Not saying he will, just saying it wouldn't surprise me
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 09:11:00 PM »
He came back in the middle of an Olympic year.    He says he wants a shot at 5 Olympic games.  He can only get two more NCAA titles. I think he wants his degree and NCAA titles are more important than world titles right now.  He's got 3 1/2  years to prep for In the the next games. 

In the words of Arnold....."I'll be back.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 09:51:01 AM »
Oh I read it.

" The most valuable wrestlers in the NCAA all have high bonus point rates and are likely to stand on the top of the podium at the end of the year. These are the five most valuable NCAA wrestlers around."

To infer Snyder isn't going to score and score big is ...................

He had a fall, a Tfall and a major in 5 bouts at the championships
2 Tfalls out of 3 at B1Gs.
Scored 20 points or more in 7 of 11 matches
There are probably 3 other heavies that he wont at least major and solely because he'll be giving away 60 lbs.

I'll lay odds he's in the top 5 for team points on the board at the end of the season.

Per match you might be right, but he'll wrestle a limited schedule once again so if you're talking about total over the season I'd take that bet all day long.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 09:51:15 PM »
Not so sure he will limit himself.  He came back because he was starving for real action, so much so he abandoned his Olympic waiver.  The World Cup is in April and individual worlds are in August.  I think he wants NCAA gold and another OSU title before another another world title.

Post Olympics he said he wanted to go to 4 more.  He's got only two years of NCAA left and I think he recognizes he has 4 years to prep for his next Olympic gold. 

Offline SetonHallPirate

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 03:27:22 AM »
Not so sure he will limit himself.  He came back because he was starving for real action, so much so he abandoned his Olympic waiver.  The World Cup is in April and individual worlds are in August.  I think he wants NCAA gold and another OSU title before another another world title.

Post Olympics he said he wanted to go to 4 more.  He's got only two years of NCAA left and I think he recognizes he has 4 years to prep for his next Olympic gold.
The World Cup is NCAA Championship weekend this upcoming year.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 06:48:46 AM »
You are correct.  I had read Tehran in April, but UWW amended the date to March.  I guess we'll have to wait and see where his loyalties lie.  I'll bet on OSU for the national championship.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2016, 11:18:21 AM »

Have you listened to his interviews post-Rio? For one, he has zero interest in folk.  He doesn't practice it at all.  He said he did one day of bottom work before the NCAA tournament and that was it.  Secondly, world championships are every year and I think he wants to keep winning them.  I have no doubt he will wrestle more for Ohio State this year without the RS issue, but it won't be much more as he will still travel to international tournaments.

This is a sig bet if I've ever seen one.  I'll bet you a month of the other person's signature that Snyder doesn't wrestle more than 20 matches for the Buckeyes this year.

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2016, 12:15:51 PM »
This is a sig bet if I've ever seen one.  I'll bet you a month of the other person's signature that Snyder doesn't wrestle more than 20 matches for the Buckeyes this year.

I've been thinking about a new sig. Can I take the bet? If RYou wants it, I'll defer to him.
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2016, 03:53:30 PM »

You're on, not one to back away.  16 total bouts, forfeits where he takes the win and tournament byes count . But if he doesn't wrestle at the NCAA championships ( which means he goes to the World Cup instead of NCAAs, you win regardless of the number of bouts wrestled.

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2016, 05:46:20 PM »

You're on, not one to back away.  16 total bouts, forfeits where he takes the win and tournament byes count . But if he doesn't wrestle at the NCAA championships ( which means he goes to the World Cup instead of NCAAs, you win regardless of the number of bouts wrestled.

Forfeits count, but no way tournament byes count.  And the number is 20, not 16 (I'm fine with 20 being a push, but I did say more than 20).