Poll

What's your favorite battleground in the war on science?

Climate change is a hoax.
2 (18.2%)
Evolution never happened.
2 (18.2%)
The moon landings were all faked.
2 (18.2%)
Vaccinations can lead to autism.
4 (36.4%)
Genetically modified food is evil.
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Which Battleground in the War on Science?  (Read 14283 times)

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Which Battleground in the War on Science?
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »
But have you decided how many millions of people you're willing to be drowned in order to get you some beachfront property?
Are they immovable objects?

Where's that old thinking cap when you need it? Individually no, but as a group of hundreds of millions, yes, in practical terms. Don't forget the earth's oceans are connected. If scmathlete succeeds in getting the Atlantic coast moved near his home, the same movement will occur at every ocean coastline in the world. And he wants a quick result.
The Earth's oceans are connected?  When did this happen.   ;D  You said they would drown.  They will if they are stupid enough to stand there and watch the ocean rise over their heads without moving to higher ground.  Are you expecting the oceans to rise extremely fast so as to catch them by surprise?
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2017, 02:00:21 PM »
The Earth's oceans are connected?  When did this happen.

Take a look at a globe next time you're close to one.

Are you expecting the oceans to rise extremely fast so as to catch them by surprise?

Perhaps. It depends on how effective scmathlete's method turns out to be.
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2017, 02:12:25 PM »
The Earth's oceans are connected?  When did this happen.

Take a look at a globe next time you're close to one.

Hello, McFly.  You can't recognize comedy on my part?  I mean really?
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2017, 02:47:20 PM »
But have you decided how many millions of people you're willing to be drowned in order to get you some beachfront property?
I think scmathlete's statement was heavily dipped in sarcasm and not meant to be literal.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline n9531l

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • Hate nothin' but hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2017, 03:18:35 PM »
I think scmathlete's statement was heavily dipped in sarcasm and not meant to be literal.

As was my reply. As was ctc's reply to my reply, unless I overestimated him. How good is this site if we can't have a little fun sometimes.
Orthography is next to cleanliness, which is next to godliness. - n9531l

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2017, 03:19:58 PM »

As was my reply. As was ctc's reply to my reply, unless I overestimated him. How good is this site if we can't have a little fun sometimes.
All's good.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2017, 03:41:28 PM »

mspart

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2017, 05:54:55 PM »
Hard to distinguish sarcasm when the scientifically illiterate and ignornant speak.

Offline scmathlete

• Bantam
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2017, 09:37:44 PM »
In all honesty if I really thought that I had a chance at getting beachfront property (I live well over 100 miles from the Atlantic) simply by throwing my empty worn out cardboard boxes in the regular trash instead or the recycling bin ... I'd do it in a heartbeat, sell to the first decent bidder, and move like lightning to the highest mountains I can find cause we'd all be in serious trouble.

I've also heard that methane and other gasses cause tons of CO2 issues, and wondered if we could fix it by stopping with all of this vegetable eating, and just eat all of the animals that we can as fast as we can. While it may not be a good long-term solution, can you imagine how awesome it would be "saving the planet" by eating steak, with a side of chicken and bbq instead of veggies/beans, and whatnot cause "you care"

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2017, 11:20:24 AM »
In all honesty if I really thought that I had a chance at getting beachfront property (I live well over 100 miles from the Atlantic) simply by throwing my empty worn out cardboard boxes in the regular trash instead or the recycling bin ... I'd do it in a heartbeat, sell to the first decent bidder, and move like lightning to the highest mountains I can find cause we'd all be in serious trouble.

I've also heard that methane and other gasses cause tons of CO2 issues, and wondered if we could fix it by stopping with all of this vegetable eating, and just eat all of the animals that we can as fast as we can. While it may not be a good long-term solution, can you imagine how awesome it would be "saving the planet" by eating steak, with a side of chicken and bbq instead of veggies/beans, and whatnot cause "you care"

Sorry... that wont work. Cow flatulence is one of the main contributors to methane gas. Looks like if we want a clear conscience, we have to eat only fish... caught from the shore or from sailboats.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2017, 12:34:59 PM »
Don't fish also have flatulence?

mspart

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2017, 04:13:47 PM »
I do my part to save the planet.  I pee in the shower.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/science-save-earth-peeing-shower-190635500.html?ref=gs

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »
Don't fish also have flatulence?

mspart

Yes...but other than fish farms, which will obviously have to go as well, we arent farming them, therefore they are exempt.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2017, 07:15:09 PM »
I do my part to save the planet.  I pee in the shower.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/science-save-earth-peeing-shower-190635500.html?ref=gs

I tried that. Unfortunately, I got such bad reactions from the person taking a shower that I was obliged to stop.