Author Topic: Evaluation of officials  (Read 675 times)

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
Evaluation of officials
« on: January 07, 2017, 08:54:29 PM »
Dear Refs:

Curious on how your organization evaluates your refs. Where I am from, the coaches gives us ratings 1-5 at the end of the season. I do not think this is the best system, and just wondering what other systems are out there. i want to think there is a better system than our current process.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Evaluation of officials
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 06:31:11 PM »
bump.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 07:51:03 PM »
Coaches don't have an input in our evaluations, currently. We do not have a statewide evaluation system. We have seven chapters around the state, and each chapter evaluates their own guys. We are having discussions as to how to set up a statewide system, but it is difficult, as big as we are. The only evaluations we currently do, other than by chapter, is at our state tournament.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 09:14:16 PM »
Tell me more about these evaluations....

How do they occur? Is there a form? Is it done once? Are you assigned to who you asses or do you just assess everyone that you've seen? Do you just watch a few matches at a tournament you're at with one another? Do you go observe a dual meet?  I'd like to hear some more insight on this method....thank you.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 01:29:55 PM »
In WI, the coaches rank the officials. I guess this has some good and bad aspects. As a result of the coaches ranking the officials instead of other rules experts, there is a little more emphasis on who is "likeable" or otherwise has a raport with the coach. Refs probably put up with more unsportsmanlike behavior too. Not that being approachable, likeable, and being able to communicate well with coaches is a bad thing. Just saying that the emphasis ends up being different depending upon who is doing the evaluating.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 01:30:56 PM »
On the other hand, there is probably less of officials kissing up to each other or trying to impress each other with their knowledge.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 03:35:20 PM »
In WI, the coaches rank the officials. I guess this has some good and bad aspects. As a result of the coaches ranking the officials instead of other rules experts, there is a little more emphasis on who is "likeable" or otherwise has a raport with the coach. Refs probably put up with more unsportsmanlike behavior too. Not that being approachable, likeable, and being able to communicate well with coaches is a bad thing. Just saying that the emphasis ends up being different depending upon who is doing the evaluating.
Can't believe that I agree with you on something.
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal