Author Topic: I really enjoyed the Mark Hall era...  (Read 6144 times)

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
Re: I really enjoyed the Mark Hall era...
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 01:25:29 AM »
Really? Name one graduating Senior in High School that was better.

Just my opinion, but I think Kyle Snyder was the better overall recruit. Snyder had 2 Junior World Medals (2013 - Gold, 2014 - Bronze) entering his true freshman season.

I also think Aaron Pico (same class as Hall) would have been a MUCH bigger and better recruit than Mark Hall had he chosen to stick to high school and college. Pico has multiple junior world medals, multiple victories over NCAA Champs, runner-up at the Olympic trials, and a victory over a former Senior world champ. I'd say Pico is the best graduating senior of all time, and it isn't even close...unless Spencer Lee makes the World Team this year.

Offline fsgrecofolk

• World Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 01:50:16 PM »
One to include in best graduating seniors conversation is our favorite blast from the past Dave Schultz.  I won't say he is the all timer, however he was something special even as a high schooler.

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 05:50:44 PM »

Just my opinion, but I think Kyle Snyder was the better overall recruit. Snyder had 2 Junior World Medals (2013 - Gold, 2014 - Bronze) entering his true freshman season.

I also think Aaron Pico (same class as Hall) would have been a MUCH bigger and better recruit than Mark Hall had he chosen to stick to high school and college. Pico has multiple junior world medals, multiple victories over NCAA Champs, runner-up at the Olympic trials, and a victory over a former Senior world champ. I'd say Pico is the best graduating senior of all time, and it isn't even close...unless Spencer Lee makes the World Team this year.

I thought Vise was referring to the year Hall graduated, but I guess not.  As mentioned, Snyder only had one Jr. world title in high school.  Pico was a 3 time World Champion (1 Cadet, 2 Jr.) during his high school age, but I'm pretty sure he quit high school wrestling after his freshman year.  Snyder dominated in actual high school wrestling while Pico was training just freestyle.  Now, Pico was pound for pound the best in the country as a FRESHMAN when he did wrestle in high school, but since he quit, who knows?

Anyway, if we are talking any year, then Spencer Lee will jump to the top of the list after he graduates this year..  Already a 3 time world champion (1 cadet, 2 jr.) with a shot at 4 coming up, while also wrestling full time in folkstyle.

With all that being said, it'll be tough for anyone to match Snyder's Sr. level international success if he keeps up the pace he's been going.  I can see him passing Smith's 6 year World/Olympic champion streak.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »

I was referring to the last year only.

However, I with the exceptions of Dave Schultz, Kyle Snyder, and possibly Spencer Lee, Pico and Cary Kolat, I cant think of any more outstanding HS Seniors.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 09:21:34 PM »

I thought Vise was referring to the year Hall graduated, but I guess not.  As mentioned, Snyder only had one Jr. world title in high school.  Pico was a 3 time World Champion (1 Cadet, 2 Jr.) during his high school age, but I'm pretty sure he quit high school wrestling after his freshman year.  Snyder dominated in actual high school wrestling while Pico was training just freestyle.  Now, Pico was pound for pound the best in the country as a FRESHMAN when he did wrestle in high school, but since he quit, who knows?

Anyway, if we are talking any year, then Spencer Lee will jump to the top of the list after he graduates this year..  Already a 3 time world champion (1 cadet, 2 jr.) with a shot at 4 coming up, while also wrestling full time in folkstyle.

With all that being said, it'll be tough for anyone to match Snyder's Sr. level international success if he keeps up the pace he's been going.  I can see him passing Smith's 6 year World/Olympic champion streak.

Pico was a 1-time world champion (Cadet), 3-time medalist.  He never won Juniors. https://unitedworldwrestling.org/DataBase

Snyder is great, but how quickly forget the last sure-fire guy who was going to beat Smith's record.  I hope he does it, but if Sadulaev and others really jump to 97 as expected, four more without a loss is a tall order. 

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »

Pico was a 1-time world champion (Cadet), 3-time medalist.  He never won Juniors. https://unitedworldwrestling.org/DataBase

Snyder is great, but how quickly forget the last sure-fire guy who was going to beat Smith's record.  I hope he does it, but if Sadulaev and others really jump to 97 as expected, four more without a loss is a tall order.

As a fan, I cant wait!
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell