Author Topic: Preventive Officiating or Coaching?  (Read 550 times)

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior High
    • View Profile
Preventive Officiating or Coaching?
« on: January 24, 2017, 07:54:44 am »
So, this past weekend...Wrestler A was reporting at the head table. As he was heading over to the table, I noticed he was wearing shorts so I told him to take those off before reporting.

The match went on without a hitch.

The more I thought about this situation, the more I contemplated whether or not it was the right thing to do in my situation. During pre-meet discussion, we tell the coach the make sure they are ready to wrestle when they report, and we even mention this at the captain's meeting during the flip of the disc.

My question is this.....Was that preventive officiating ? or Coaching?

Thanks.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
Re: Preventive Officiating or Coaching?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 11:16:32 am »
We have a collective interest in seeing that events run smoothly, and that we have the best wrestling experience possible.  Toward that end, we have procedural rules.  One must enforce these as necessary, but it's best that it not be necessary.  What you did is, in a minor way, good for the sport, and no reasonable person should complain about it.  Keep it up.

Offline SingletSlinger

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 01:55:18 pm »
Don't look for boogers.

Had this situation a while back and the kid went off the mat to put his shorts with his stuff. The ref dinged him a point before the match started.
No one on ignore   I like to argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 03:24:22 pm »
This is preventative officiating.   I position myself at the table between matches for that purpose.  I can catch things like this before they officially check in.  The match officially starts when the proper wrestler reports to the table.  If I'm at the table, I can always say "hey, why don't you take off your shorts before you check in?"  By being at the table I was able to use some preventative techniques instead of being lazy and hanging out in the 10' circle where I can't influence anything.  I've never had a problem doing this and if a coach wants to be unreasonable, I'll just say the kid didn't check in, go sit back down.  Plus the penalty is pretty severe: a technical violation (1 Match point), starting of injury time to correct and loss of one of two injury timeouts.  That is a lot to do before you blow the whistle for a kid that is likely nervous and forgot to slip his shorts off.

We are supposed to certify with each coach that his wrestlers are properly groomed, equipped and ready to wrestle.  The reality is high school kids are not always prepared or follow their coaches instructions.  The coach is busy trying to herd cats and kids will forget something;   in the middle of a tournament, they will take their shoes off and forget to re-tape them ect..  If I can prevent a needless penalty, then I will.

Like SingletSlinger said, don;t look for boogers.  You will most certainly find them.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 07:24:56 pm »
Thank you. I like all the explanations. I feel better. It is a SEVERE penalty.....

Few weeks ago i had a high school kid toss his cell phone out of his singlet midway through first period. That booger had to be dinged though. I'm hoping it is the first and last time.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 07:09:13 pm »
If I can get a wrestler to make a correction like that without any delay I typically won't penalize him. If the strict interpretation of the rule book differs from how officials are calling something (at least in my area) I'll defer to being consistent with the other officials.

One of the most classic examples is a wrestler not putting his foot on the green or red line in the neutral position. Technically you should caution him for doing this but nobody does. To the best of my knowledge we all just say "foot on the line." If he fails to do this repeatedly though I'd caution him.

I think we are also typically pretty liberal on the size of manufacturer's logos on t-shirts, hair covers, etc.

There are probably some other infractions we let go but I can't think of what they are off the top of my head.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 07:16:10 pm »
Great analogy!

You're right.....

Flat on the navel; Hands flat (above the line); toe the line; etc.etc....Seems like I do this very often.....

Thanks so much.