Author Topic: Near Fall from a switch  (Read 545 times)

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Near Fall from a switch
« on: February 04, 2017, 05:30:15 pm »
Really close match, my wrestler hits a switch from bottom and is leaning back hard on top of he wrestler. Time runs out before he can finish the switch but then the ref calls two near fall.

I go and ask the ref her reasoning and she goes "when he was leaning back on top of the wrestler he was within 4 inches." I point out that it wasn't an offensive action from the top wrestler and she goes "it doesn't have to be" I point out my kid is in a switch and is leaning back on top of him and she goes "no he wasn't in a switch when he was leaning back on him"

We end up losing the match off the call and it was consi semis so it's pretty heated. My wrestler still ends up losing his head when the match was still winnable
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Near Fall from a switch
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:52:39 pm »
Did he not give a visible NF count, so you and your wrestler would know that he was in a NF position and was in danger of giving up points?
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 10:04:25 pm »
Did he not give a visible NF count, so you and your wrestler would know that he was in a NF position and was in danger of giving up points?

If she did I missed it
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 11:07:57 pm »
First - Wow
Second --- A female ref? Really? Interesting
Third --- All NF has to be VISUAL and ALOUD.....guaranteed this did not happen from the way you described the situation. Something is not adding up correctly. If the ref was counting, your wrestler would have adjusted instantaneously for sure.

Very bizarre. As a prior coach, this is why I always recorded my wrestlers' matches....even though it's not reviewable, for my own sake (especially for these kind of situations).

Offline Gimp

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 05:30:46 am »
Third --- All NF has to be VISUAL and ALOUD.

Not entirely correct. Both College and HS rulebooks basically state that a visual count is to be done where feasible.
The HS casebook even suggests that it might be impossible to do so while moving back and forth.
And don't think that a verbal count will necessarily be heard by kids struggling, with headgear and a crowd.
I'm not suggesting any of that happened here.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 01:11:16 pm »
First, you don't have to give a verbal or visual NF count. That is a courtesy so people know what we are seeing/doing.

Second, if the defensive wrestler initiates a move (such as a switch) that puts him on is back he has to get stuck in that position before the offensive wrestler can start getting nearfall. This can be a tough judgment call for a ref. An attempted roll is a more common example. You don't start counting nearfall when the defensive wrestler intiiates a roll, UNLESS they get stuck in that position and are then fighting off their back. Then you can start counting.

I would say that if your wrestler got stuck halfway through the switch for at least a couple seconds (the time is going to differ depending upon the ref and situation) then start counting NF.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 08:40:32 am »
My apologies...always taught to be visual and count aloud when giving back points. I assumed this was the rule, but I stand corrected. Thank you.

Offline Gimp

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 11:49:39 pm »
You SHOULD but your post said HAD TO. We were just quibbling on the had to part. Sometimes you can't.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 10:35:21 am »
Roger, 10-4. Makes sense! Good luck to all working Sectionals/States!!!!