Author Topic: Question about different states  (Read 713 times)

Offline scmathlete

• View Profile
Question about different states
« on: March 02, 2017, 10:36:49 am »
I thought that I saw somewhere on here a list of how each state determines its team state champion. Our (SC) state director has said (I've only heard this secondhand, and am just going back to my source with information, he can do what he wants with it) that he doesn't want to put too much effort into reworking/improving our state championship tournament because wrestling numbers are in decline, and we're one of only a handful of states that actually holds two state championships (we have a dual tournament or playoffs for team championships, and individual tournament for individual champions) for wrestling.  I've finished the research for the number of participants line, and I thought that many states had a dual tournament team championship for wrestling.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Question about different states
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:30:06 am »
I know MN holds a dual tourney at the same time as the individual state championship.  Creates double duty for the good kids on good teams.  I think they take the top 8 teams in each region and single elim it.  Perhaps it is the top 4 teams, it has been awhile since I lived there.

Here in WA, they do it the same way the determine team champion at the NCAA championships. 

mspart

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 01:09:11 am »
I recall Virginia having 2 state championships. And they would have a dual sometime afterward with the best from each state (not sure all state champs always participate), AA vs AAA . So you get an all star dual for bragging rights. Not sure if they still do that.
When all else fails, do the opposite...

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 10:18:42 am »
Kentucky has State Duals and it's also the only one split up into a large school and small school division but we don't use it to keep track of the team state champion, that's always been determined by scoring at the individual championships. Tennessee has a similar system but they make a bigger deal out of their team duals state champion than Kentucky does. It was a bit of a culture shock when a Tennessee guy came over to be our coach when I was in high school and he had us focus on state duals more than almost any other team.
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature