Author Topic: Question about different states  (Read 2275 times)

Offline scmathlete

• View Profile
Question about different states
« on: March 02, 2017, 10:36:49 AM »
I thought that I saw somewhere on here a list of how each state determines its team state champion. Our (SC) state director has said (I've only heard this secondhand, and am just going back to my source with information, he can do what he wants with it) that he doesn't want to put too much effort into reworking/improving our state championship tournament because wrestling numbers are in decline, and we're one of only a handful of states that actually holds two state championships (we have a dual tournament or playoffs for team championships, and individual tournament for individual champions) for wrestling.  I've finished the research for the number of participants line, and I thought that many states had a dual tournament team championship for wrestling.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Question about different states
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 12:30:06 AM »
I know MN holds a dual tourney at the same time as the individual state championship.  Creates double duty for the good kids on good teams.  I think they take the top 8 teams in each region and single elim it.  Perhaps it is the top 4 teams, it has been awhile since I lived there.

Here in WA, they do it the same way the determine team champion at the NCAA championships. 

mspart

Offline leglace

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 01:09:11 AM »
I recall Virginia having 2 state championships. And they would have a dual sometime afterward with the best from each state (not sure all state champs always participate), AA vs AAA . So you get an all star dual for bragging rights. Not sure if they still do that.
When all else fails, do the opposite...

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 10:18:42 AM »
Kentucky has State Duals and it's also the only one split up into a large school and small school division but we don't use it to keep track of the team state champion, that's always been determined by scoring at the individual championships. Tennessee has a similar system but they make a bigger deal out of their team duals state champion than Kentucky does. It was a bit of a culture shock when a Tennessee guy came over to be our coach when I was in high school and he had us focus on state duals more than almost any other team.
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »
Oklahoma has a dual state tournament the week before regionals. Easch class within the state is divided into 8 districts and each district winner goes to dual state.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Silver
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 02:00:03 PM »
I recall Virginia having 2 state championships. And they would have a dual sometime afterward with the best from each state (not sure all state champs always participate), AA vs AAA . So you get an all star dual for bragging rights. Not sure if they still do that.

There was only a dual state championship for Group AAA for about 7-8 years. The last one was in 1996 when Great Bridge beat Franklin County 66-0 in the finals. There used to be a AAA vs. AA/A dual at the end of the season, but it wasn't sanctioned by the HS league, so the participation was always scattered. There are currently 7 classes in Virginia - six public and one private and no dual state championships.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Silver
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 02:00:41 PM »
So the state director allegedly knows that numbers are down and doesn't want to do anything to stop it. That's how I read that.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 05:14:41 PM »
Here in WA they run it similar to the NCAA's.  One Tourney, one giant tourney, all classifications are there.  The whole state is at the Tacoma Dome with 24+ mats.  Individual champs are crowned and the team points are added up for the team champion. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 05:44:11 PM »
24 mats ?  That's insane. How many have been DQ'd because they could find the correct mat ?

NJ offers a single individual tournament, 14 "state champs".  The team tournaments are by group and do not wrestle down to a single state championship team like they do in basketball..

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 01:36:15 AM »
Not sure anyone has been DQ'd.  Probably though.  We have A, 2A, 3A, 4A and then the really small schools, 1B and 2B and then girls.  So yeah, a lot of mats.  Every kid that qualifies for the state tourney is there.  I think MN does it that way too.  Big Dance with everyone there.

mspart