Author Topic: Thoughts on this officiating at the California State Tournament  (Read 579 times)

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior High
    • View Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9bE3f_rppU&t=2m9s

Fleeing the mat?

If you keep watching, do you think a second STALL call (in the third period) should have been awarded to force OT.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
Re: Thoughts on this officiating at the California State Tournament
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:01:58 PM »

Fleeing the mat?

I would say not. The defensive wrestler acts with a purpose not related to position on the mat: he's working to keep his right leg free. That this takes him out of bounds is certainly convenient for him, but the actions he takes would make perfect sense had they moved him toward the middle of the mat.  That means he's not going out of bounds as a means of avoiding wrestling.

Contrast this with any number of situations where what the defensive wrestler does would make no sense whatsoever if the boundary wasn't an issue. If we actually called these according to the rules, the change would be enormous.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 12:49:26 PM »

Fleeing the mat?

If you keep watching, do you think a second STALL call (in the third period) should have been awarded to force OT.

If you're forcing something, you're doing it wrong.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 06:43:46 PM »
I didn't look at the stalling situation but the fleeing the mat is a close call. After looking at it pretty closely I think it should definitely be fleeing the mat and I like to think I would have called that. When they are on the very edge of the mat I can go along with somebody turning toward the out of bounds and taking one step that way. However, he had enough room between himself and the OOB where it is obvious that he was heading DIRECTLY to the OOB line. He took several steps in the direction of the shortest route possible toward that OOB line. His intent is obvious.

I used to not call fleeing the mat very often but I've become more liberal about it the past couple years. I called it a few times this year; probably an average of once or so at every tournament or multi-dual. I don't need to know for sure that he was fleeing. If I'm 90% sure that is good enough.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 07:01:43 PM »
OK, I also watched the very end of the match. I know a lot of refs will disagree with me on this but I say no stalling on that. I generally call stalling if one guy takes a few shots or offensive moves and the other guy doesn't take any. However, that only goes so far. When one guy gets desperate at the end of the match and suddenly goes crazy the last few seconds with non-stop shots or charging the opponent I'm not going to automatically call stalling on the opponent. I see a lot of refs that will do that but if a guy went crazy like that at the very beginning of the match I doubt they'd be so liberal about the stall call.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 03:45:12 PM »
RV,

Interesting perspective....In regards to stalling.....Is the wrestler avoiding wrestling, and is it ongoing? If you can honestly say, "No," then that's the correct call. It looks to be stalling to me.

In regards to fleeing the mat, it's a tough call, but because I don't know their true intentions, I need it to be BLATANT. I only called it once this past season, on the bottom man making a b-line to the out of bounds after a restart.

Thanks for sharing , appreciate all the comments/thoughts on this issue.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 10:56:14 PM »
RV,

Interesting perspective....In regards to stalling.....Is the wrestler avoiding wrestling, and is it ongoing? If you can honestly say, "No," then that's the correct call. It looks to be stalling to me.

In regards to fleeing the mat, it's a tough call, but because I don't know their true intentions, I need it to be BLATANT. I only called it once this past season, on the bottom man making a b-line to the out of bounds after a restart.

Thanks for sharing , appreciate all the comments/thoughts on this issue.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. I think I call fleeing more often than most refs and stalling less often.

Offline Gimp

• Junior High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 10:09:37 PM »
College- easily yes.
HS- probably should be but not called often enough to be easy call.