Yea, the smille is not haring anyone.
6 (85.7%)
Nae, ethics in sports are out.
1 (14.3%)
He can stay if..................
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: April 26, 2017, 04:58:14 pm

Author Topic: Chief Wahoo Yea or Nae  (Read 1212 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Chief Wahoo Yea or Nae
« on: April 12, 2017, 04:56:06 pm »
The Cleveland Indians logo may be headed back to the tepee after the 2017 season if MLB brass get their way.

He's been around in various forms since 1934.  Is it time for retirement ?  It's going to be difficult finding a replacement logo without offending someone.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Chief Wahoo Yea or Nae
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 05:08:26 pm »
Everything is offensive to someone.  Water?  How can that be offensive?  Ever live in Phoenix or Minneapolis?  Get back to me when you do.  That water is offensive. 

Leave the logo.  This is childish.

mspart

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 05:15:18 pm »
My favorite MLB logo. Another sign of the progressive idiocy.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline retired

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 02:31:43 pm »
Progressive who loves the Chief.  Now fix the poll.
If every black male 18-35 applied for a conceal & carry permit, and then joined the NRA in one day; there would be gun control laws in a second.

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 01:45:52 pm »
It has similarities to blackface hence I can see why someone would have issues with it. I can't say whether or not I'm offended because I'm not a part of any tribe. I can ask my Cherokee cousins if they're offended.
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 02:54:46 pm »
We had a semi effort to get rid of Indian inspired names here in WA for HS mascots.  One of the HS's here is Redskins.  Now the interesting thing is that this HS has majority Indian (Native American) attendance and always has.  They love the name and fought the attempted change. 

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/redskins-controversy-high-school-with-debated-name-just-wants-to-be-left-alone/

WELLPINIT, Stevens County — This little town of 928 — with its one grocery store, one gas station and one stop sign — is far, far away from the national controversies of the day.

To get here, you drive about an hour north of Spokane, past fields of barley, wheat and canola with yellow flowers, past the forests.

It is home for the Spokane Tribe of Indians, and for 107 years, the Wellpinit High School mascot name has been Redskins.

mspart

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 10:37:53 pm »
I almost taught at a reservation school in New Mexico

They're the Chieftans. Had a state champ last year in that tiny New Mexico state wrestling bracket
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 11:00:45 pm »
Is one of your Cherokee friends Elizabeth Warren?
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 11:04:27 am »
She's  full on blue eyed white skinned Cherokee!

mspart

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 11:20:25 am »

My one cousin is about 1/4 Cherokee and he looks whiter than me. The other one is about 3/4 Cherokee and she looks like she is full-blooded

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 11:21:23 am »

My one cousin is about 1/4 Cherokee and he looks whiter than me. The other one is about 3/4 Cherokee and she looks like she is full-blooded

about 1/4?  not sure how that math works out

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 11:32:25 am »

[/quote)

I'm guessing you're pointing out it should be a multiple of 6? So in that case I think it's about 1/6 or 2/6

I don't know the exact amount of cherokee in my one cousin just that he was Cherokee enough that his adoption was handled through Cherokee courts. My other cousin is nearly full blooded

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 12:25:42 pm »

[/quote)

I'm guessing you're pointing out it should be a multiple of 6? So in that case I think it's about 1/6 or 2/6

I don't know the exact amount of cherokee in my one cousin just that he was Cherokee enough that his adoption was handled through Cherokee courts. My other cousin is nearly full blooded

You can be 1/4, 1/8, or some variation.  I'm not certain why it would be multiples of 6.  frankly 2/6 would be super odd given it should read 1/3...which I really have 0 clue how it could be possible

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 01:29:18 pm »

You can be 1/4, 1/8, or some variation.  I'm not certain why it would be multiples of 6.  frankly 2/6 would be super odd given it should read 1/3...which I really have 0 clue how it could be possible

I'm not good with genetics. Me no science good

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 02:28:42 pm »
Is that why you are teaching quantum mechanics!!!   Ha - just kidding.  In my view, the cat is either alive or dead, not both at the same time. 

My wife is 1/8 Sicilian.  But the Awapaho tribe won't admit her.

mspart

Disclaimer:  I use that in jest.  I have a friend who is 1/2 Italian and he claims to be Awapaho.  I figure if he can use it, I can too.