Author Topic: High School Wrestling By the Numbers  (Read 745 times)

Offline Jtm

• Novice
  • Going paperless, one team at a time.
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
High School Wrestling By the Numbers
« on: June 02, 2017, 03:12:46 pm »
A look at the number of high school wrestling programs and participants over the years (2002-2016), boys and girls.

https://www.levelchanger.com/blog/2017/5/31/whistling-past-the-graveyard-not-quite-yet

Online FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: High School Wrestling By the Numbers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 04:44:34 pm »
Numbers hit Louisville wrestling really bad this year. Of the two Louisville Regional tournaments most brackets only had 4-6 kids despite there being 13 programs in one region and 12 in the other
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 07:22:16 am »
FWIW:

In 2008, there were two schools outside the USA that hosted American Folkstyle wrestling teams: Cairo American College & American School of Dubai.

in 2009, The American Embassy School (New Delhi) hosted a team.

Shortly after, the American School of Bombay hosted a team.

Two years ago, the American Community School (Abu Dhabi) and GEMS American Academy (Abu Dhabi) hosted teams.

Last year, Universal American School (Dubai) started a team. Also last year South Saigon International School (Vietnam) started a team.

There is a movement afoot to start a program at the American School of Bangkok.

American curriculum schools outside of the US are growing American folkstyle wrestling teams.

Currently, Department of Defense Schools overseas host freestyle wrestling.  As does the American Overseas School of Rome & The American School of Japan (Tokyo).

Online FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 09:42:04 pm »
Are you sure DoDs isn't Folkstyle? I didn't wrestle on an overseas program but my dad did and he always seemed to be folkstyle trained. We would have a couple overseas kids come to Campbell but they almost always got into trouble or quit before I really got to look at their wrestling.
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 03:24:44 am »
DODDS schools wrestle freestyle.

However, every now and then, the conversations comes up within Stars & Stripes Newspaper asking if they should switch to folkstyle.

https://www.stripes.com/sports/pacific/wrestling-in-pacific-it-comes-down-to-style-1.326239#.WTZX7BOGP64

I can understand both sides of the argument.

Freestyle - kids assigned to bases overseas have opportunities to compete against local schools and clubs. Therefore, matches should be done in freestyle. Plus, it's great in a sports diplomacy aspect. Wrestling freestyle within the host country also gives the kids more chances for more matches.

Folkstyle - kids assigned to bases overseas are not assigned there permanently. At some point, they will be coming home back to CONUS. Therefore, to prepare kids to transition back to high school in the US (and if they want to continue wrestling in high school), then they should have folkstyle experience.

The American Overseas School of Rome is not a DODDS school, but since they compete against DODDS schools, they have decided to compete in Freestyle.  I believe that is also the reasoning behind the American School of Japan staying with Freestyle. 

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 03:26:56 am »
I have written introductory emails to the DODDS and the school in Rome & Tokyo to let them know that in the near (or distant) future, if they would like to introduce American folkstyle wrestling within their athletic department, that we would love to host them at a future jamboree.

Online FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 10:13:07 am »
That may explain the strangeness in my dad's and these other overseas DODDEA kids wrestling styles.

There's an old picture of my dad trying to teach me top and bottom wrestling and he's literally splayed out like in par terre

Offline Jtm

• Novice
  • Going paperless, one team at a time.
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 04:35:07 pm »
Someone asked if the boys wrestling participation decline could be related to state population decline which, in turn, could cause an overall decrease in high school sports participation. Good question. If this were the case, then we wouldn't be alarmed.  After all, if the overall level of participation is declining, then we might naturally expect a decline in wrestling participation, too.  That would be a population problem, not necessarily a wrestling problem.

However, nationwide participation in boys high school sports is up about 2% from 2009/10 to 2015/16. During this period, wrestling's share of total participation went from ~6.2% to 5.6%.  Also during this period, wrestling's share of boys "contact" sports declined from ~9.4% to 8.5%.

"Contact" sports that grew during the period 2009/10 to 2015/16:

• Soccer +48K participants
  • Lacrosse +19K participants
  • Baseball +16K participants

"Contact" sports that declined during the period:

• Football (11 & 8 player) -23K participants
  • Wrestling -22K participants