Author Topic: Yokozuna Hakuho - 1,048 sumo wins...new record!  (Read 268 times)

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Yokozuna Hakuho - 1,048 sumo wins...new record!
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:00:07 am »
Interesting article:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/mongolian-hakuho-smashes-sumo-record-with-1-048th-win-9052806

From the article -

The Mongolian - who was so small when he arrived in Japan at age 15 only a minor sumo 'stable' would take him in - also holds the record for the most number of tournament wins.

Hakuho's success comes as foreign wrestlers increasingly dominate Japan's 15-century-old sport. Three of the four wrestlers in the sport's top yokozuna rank are Mongolian. The fourth, Kisenosato, became the first home-grown grand champion in nearly two decades when he was promoted earlier in Januar
y.

Several local media reported on Friday that Hakuho plans to attain Japanese citizenship "in the near future" so he can be oyakata one day - a move that could stir controversy in his native Mongolia.
Hakuho's father is regarded as a national hero as the country's first-ever Olympic medallist, when he won silver for wrestling in 1968.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 03:20:35 pm »
ok that's pretty cool
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 05:08:45 pm »
I'd love to know if his father's freestyle career had any influence upon his Sumo skills.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell