Author Topic: American Assassin to become a Movie.  (Read 155 times)

Offline lkwdsteve

• World Champ
    • View Profile
American Assassin to become a Movie.
« on: August 24, 2017, 11:21:23 pm »
I just saw, in  a facebook posting, that one of author Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp thrillers has been made into a movie and will be in theaters soon.

I have posed the question before about who is the toughest:
Jason Bourne (author Robert Ludlum), Jack Reacher (Lee Child), or Mitch Rapp (Flynn)?

Matt Damon did a decent job playing Bourne.  Tom Cruise as Reacher was idiotic IMO. We will see how this Dylan O'Brien does as Mitch Rapp (who could be well played by a very young Sy Stallone).

I wonder how far the movie will diverge from the book in it's plotting.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: American Assassin to become a Movie.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:22:39 am »
Cruise as Reacher was awful.
I enjoyed Damon as Bourne.

I will check out this book/series
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 11:19:27 pm »
Props to Brycemus mentioning the books! Reacher was basically, Conan in the 20th century (huge, powerful, athletic, intelligent guy vs his enemies). Cruise could not pull of the physicality of the role, though little guys can do that shit.  His acting ability did a lot....but he's not 6'6".
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 03:14:02 pm »
Allow me to add a 4th to that trio... Gabriel Allon. He is a Mossad agent/assassin, ala Mitch Rapp but is more realistic in my opinion. The author of the series is Daniel Silva and is usually focused on terrorism of some sort but also has tales of Vatican intrigue.

If I was ranking the 4 for Baddassness....

1. Reacher
2. Bourne
3. Allon
4. Rapp

FWIW..... John Sanford has a good series of crime books (____ Prey), with Lucas Davenport as the protagonist. Davenport is a lot like Reacher, but he frequently mentions Minnesota wrestling in some of the books, so Im guessing he's a fan.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 03:52:45 pm »
Props to Brycemus mentioning the books! Reacher was basically, Conan in the 20th century (huge, powerful, athletic, intelligent guy vs his enemies). Cruise could not pull of the physicality of the role, though little guys can do that shit.  His acting ability did a lot....but he's not 6'6".

Supporting cast would have to be munchkins to make it real.

mspart

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 03:54:31 pm »
Allow me to add a 4th to that trio... Gabriel Allon. He is a Mossad agent/assassin, ala Mitch Rapp but is more realistic in my opinion. The author of the series is Daniel Silva and is usually focused on terrorism of some sort but also has tales of Vatican intrigue.

1. Reacher
2. Bourne
3. Allon
4. Rapp

FWIW..... John Sanford has a good series of crime books (____ Prey), with Lucas Davenport as the protagonist. Davenport is a lot like Reacher, but he frequently mentions Minnesota wrestling in some of the books, so Im guessing he's a fan.

I still wear my MN Storm wrestling shirt while at practice.  Funny, I'm sure most are thinking Seattle Storm women's basketball.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 05:45:52 pm »
Sean Connery - James Bond - Ian Fleming set a benchmark that may never be topped.

Daniel Craig comes close, but not quite.  All of the others aren't even worth watching.

Offline lkwdsteve

• World Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 12:13:12 am »

1. Reacher
2. Bourne
3. Allon
4. Rapp

I just finished "House of Spies" by Silva.  I liked most of the others better, though his postscript at the end of House of Spies discussing real current events was interesting. I thought an earlier book "The Messenger" was particularly touching.

Mitch Rapp remains the most notorious since he murdered a sitting Senator and his campaign manager, while his boss, Irene Kennedy, managed to murder a vice president-elect. None of the other super heroes managed to reach that high.

Who wins with fisticuffs among the four? I'm undecided, but lean toward Rapp one on one against any, though Reacher can beat MORE opponents at once than any of the others. I guess Reacher is the best shooter at distance.