Author Topic: It's official...Suriano to Rutgers  (Read 776 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: It's official...Suriano to Rutgers
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 07:22:31 am »
Guido heaven.
If every black male 18-35 applied for a conceal & carry permit, and then joined the NRA in one day; there would be gun control laws in a second.

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 10:32:33 am »
Would love to know the extenuating circumstances that allowed the B1G to grant a waiver to its transfer rules.  Looks like some dirty laundry at Penn State.
Hope springs eternal.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 01:56:59 pm »
This isn't the first time they have done it
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 02:13:35 pm »
Would love to know the extenuating circumstances that allowed the B1G to grant a waiver to its transfer rules.  Looks like some dirty laundry at Penn State.
Looks like he transferred to me.  No need to foolishly accuse PSU of wrongdoing without warrant.
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 07:44:49 am »
I wouldn't deem it "dirty laundry", and frankly, the reason(s) are moot.

Given the expediency of the Academics and Eligibility subcommittee decision, logic suggest PSU did not oppose the waiver.

I think B1G is entering into a change in enforcement of the intra-conference transfer rule.  Never forget, these are "student"-athletes, yes student first and every student has the right to move between B1G universities subject to the accepting school's transfer rules.  Their are academics on the sub-committee and I suspect you will find they will support any movement between schools.

Other Super 5 conferences have similar rules incurring a loss of eligibility.  I suspect the B1G does not want to be confronted with a law suit challenging the rule and its removal from the rule book across all NCAA sports.  As it sits now, that rule is a strong deterrent to intra-conference transfer and only those that are willing to accept the potential loss of a year would even consider a transfer.  If a student athlete is that serious about transferring that he /she is willing to yield a year of eligibility, that is strong evidence the "student" should be allowed to do so without the penalty.

So, Suriano receives his waiver and the dissuasive intra-conference transfer rule remains in tact.

When Micic transferred to Michigan the decision took 3months.  Suriano got his in under 4 weeks.  Suffice to say, despite all that has been written about PSU opposing the waiver, the evidence suggests they did not oppose it.  Do you really think Sanderson would deny a wrestler a full year of eligibility when he is such a staunch supporter of the sport? I don't.  Publicly, as indicated through their official communication on the subject, PSU endorses and abides by the B1G rule on post matriculation transfers.  Confidentially, (because you may never know PSU's response when it was asked), the probabilities suggest they did not oppose it.

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 10:24:44 am »
These are Penn State's actions:

"Nick Suriano recently requested a release so that he could transfer to Rutgers.  We granted this release. Subject to Big Ten policy, any intra-conference transfer is required to sit for one year before they are again eligible to participate.   Nick is open to transfer to Rutgers and will be subject to that school's policies (conference or otherwise) on transfer and eligibility status. We support and work within the Big Ten policy."

"Penn State officials refused a closed-doors request for an amicable split." per NJ sources

It's naive to think that the waiver wasn't granted because of PSU misbehavior.  Micic got a waiver because his coach was fired for misconduct.  It's widely suspected that Suriano received a waiver because Penn State mismanaged his injury.
Hope springs eternal.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 12:04:04 pm »
These are Penn State's actions:

"Nick Suriano recently requested a release so that he could transfer to Rutgers.  We granted this release. Subject to Big Ten policy, any intra-conference transfer is required to sit for one year before they are again eligible to participate.   Nick is open to transfer to Rutgers and will be subject to that school's policies (conference or otherwise) on transfer and eligibility status. We support and work within the Big Ten policy."

"Penn State officials refused a closed-doors request for an amicable split." per NJ sources

It's naive to think that the waiver wasn't granted because of PSU misbehavior.  Micic got a waiver because his coach was fired for misconduct.  It's widely suspected that Suriano received a waiver because Penn State mismanaged his injury.
The tin foil hat fits you real good.   ;D
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 12:04:52 pm »
Mismanaged his injury? He got to rest and a shot to heal for nationals until the last possible minute.
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 04:04:13 pm »

You forgot to add the Rutgers insiders and Pyles "something happened at Penn State".

At least you have Smalls in your corner "Suriano lied".
Hope springs eternal.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 05:46:09 pm »
Pyles doesn't know diddly squat about the situation. C'mon, it's @we'llsnowyouFlo.  He's not one to rely on since his info is 3rd hand.

Less than a handful of people at RU saw the waiver appeal and none post on any boards.  Suriano has not gone public either.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 08:20:50 am »

You forgot to add the Rutgers insiders and Pyles "something happened at Penn State".

At least you have Smalls in your corner "Suriano lied".[/i]
Wrong.  I have the vast majority in my corner.  It is those folks that claim "avoid foolish, worthless speculation".

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 10:27:30 am »
There is one other angle supporting PSU's approval of the waiver...The B1G rules on waiver invite the former team to approve / disapprove, comment about the transfer. That is a private communication and you will never know how PSU responded unless Sanderson wants it to be known. Sanderson needs Suriano on the mat this year at both B1Gs and the NCAA to minimize the points put up by NaTo since he is dropping back to 125. Having Suriano sit until 2018 is no benefit to PSU team titles and Rutgers poses no threat.  OSU is going to be a tad weaker in 2018 losing Snyder, Tomasello and Jordan while PSU only loses McCutcheon and Retherford

Offline SingletSlinger

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 11:27:11 am »
Check the finances of the Nittany Lion wrestling club to see if they got any anonymous contributions from New Jersey.
No one on ignore   I like to argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 03:02:58 pm »
Let's not go the Soprano route.

FWIW, he's enrolled and on the roster.  Rutgers issued their official announcement today which includes the first public comments from Nick.

http://www.scarletknights.com/news/2017/9/6/wrestling-nick-suriano-enrolls-at-rutgers.aspx?path=wrestling