Author Topic: Does Daton Fix redshirt?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Does Daton Fix redshirt?
« on: October 11, 2017, 03:58:30 pm »
Junior world champ (only 1 pt scored on him) and now he just won the U23 Team Trials with 2 straight wins over Tomasello.  Clearly he is ready to compete in Division i. In fact, he's probably the most accomplished wrestler to ever sign with OSU.

In the current roster Fix is listed as 125/133

Currently...
At 125 there is Nick Piccininni who took 4th and will be a redshirt sophomore. There are others at this weight as well but none that are a factor in this equation (unless Piccininni gets hurt).
At 133 is Kaid Brock who took a somewhat disappointing 5th and is a Junior but has a redshirt still available (unless they rule his frosh year a hardship). Past starter Gary Wayne Harding is also shown at this weight.
At 141 is 2x Champ Dean Heil and behind him is probably another Frosh Kaden Gfeller.

In the past John Smith has not been shy in wrestling freshmen.

Team wise its no doubt better to redshirt  Fix and next year put him in at 133 and bump Brock up to 141 to fill the departed slot at 141 left by Heil, and leaving the smaller Piccininni at 125. But will Fix go along with the redshirt year?  He could even go up to 133 and let Brock take his redshirt this year before moving to 141 next year.

Its a nice problem to have if you are John Smith.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Does Daton Fix redshirt?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:37:10 pm »
I guess I'd let him decide it if I were Smith.  But from a team standpoint, you have a good point.  But Fix might be the only true freshman undefeated 4X NCAA champ ever.  If he redshirts, he can only tie Cael's standard.

mspart

Offline Jerry Callo

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 10:42:45 am »
This is a question only peripherally related to this thread but I do not know the answer - what is the difference in age requirements for Junior Worlds and U23 Worlds?  Assuming U23 is for those under the age of 23 - what is the age limit for Junior Worlds? 

Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 11:20:38 am »
I guess I'd let him decide it if I were Smith.  But from a team standpoint, you have a good point.  But Fix might be the only true freshman undefeated 4X NCAA champ ever.  If he redshirts, he can only tie Cael's standard.

mspart

To tie Cael's standard, he'd have to be a 4X OW as well.

As good as he is, I dont think he will go undefeated.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:23:18 am »
This is a question only peripherally related to this thread but I do not know the answer - what is the difference in age requirements for Junior Worlds and U23 Worlds?  Assuming U23 is for those under the age of 23 - what is the age limit for Junior Worlds?

2017 USA Wrestling Age and Weight Divisions
Age    Division                    Birth Dates
UWW Cadet           Born 2000 - 2002
Junior (Women)   Born 9/1/1997 & after, plus enrolled in grades 9-12
Junior                   Born 9/1/1997 & after, plus enrolled in grades 9-12
UWW Junior World   Born 1997 - 1999, 2000 with medical certificate

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 12:44:25 pm »

mspart

I'm sure no one thought Cael would go undefeated either.  4X OW is a tough one to match.  But the way he is wrestling, it looks like he could do that.  I don't know.  Perhaps the grind of college wrestling will be too much for him.  One just never knows. 

mspart

Offline jammen

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 01:00:32 pm »

mspart

How about if he doesn't lose a match during his red shirt season before he runs the table?
Hope springs eternal.

Offline goStanford18

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:52:09 pm »
If I were him, from an individual standpoint, I'd want to compete this season. What other true frosh has stepped into a weight that featured two returning national champs (Cruz, Nato) AND two returning finalists (Lizak, Moisey) and won it? A #2 seed (Suriano), and former AA Milhof add some nice depth to this weight too.

That being said, I can see why a competitor like Daton Fix would be salivating at the opportunity to compete this season. The weight class won't feature this level of competition for awhile. Guys like Spencer Lee and DeSanto are competitors too, so I won't be surprised to see them go this year.

A lot of guys have to bump up to make room for Fix, but I guess that is what will happen:

Fix redshirts this year/Heil graduates.

OSU 2017-2018:
125: Fix/Picc
133: Picc/Fix
141: Brock
149: Lewallen/Martinez/Gfeller
157: Martinez/Gfeller
165: Joe Smith
174: Smith
184: Moore
197: Weigel

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 02:34:12 pm »
If I were him, from an individual standpoint, I'd want to compete this season. What other true frosh has stepped into a weight that featured two returning national champs (Cruz, Nato) AND two returning finalists (Lizak, Moisey) and won it? A #2 seed (Suriano), and former AA Milhof add some nice depth to this weight too.

That being said, I can see why a competitor like Daton Fix would be salivating at the opportunity to compete this season. The weight class won't feature this level of competition for awhile. Guys like Spencer Lee and DeSanto are competitors too, so I won't be surprised to see them go this year.

A lot of guys have to bump up to make room for Fix, but I guess that is what will happen:

Fix redshirts this year/Heil graduates.

OSU 2017-2018:
125: Fix/Picc
133: Picc/Fix
141: Brock
149: Lewallen/Martinez/Gfeller
157: Martinez/Gfeller
165: Joe Smith
174: Smith
184: Moore
197: Weigel

Shouldnt that be 2018-2019?  Heil is still eligible in 2017-2018

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 03:53:30 pm »
it all comes down to

Better shot at winning a team title against the exact same Lion team that won it last year handily with him in the lineup this year ?
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline goStanford18

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 07:39:43 pm »
@ViceGrip

Whoops, typo on my part. You’re correct: the line up I projected was for 2018-2019.

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 01:33:15 pm »
My guess is Fix redshirts this year and goes 133 next year with Brock moving up
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 02:41:38 am »

mspart

How about if he doesn't lose a match during his red shirt season before he runs the table?

No, I think it is more fun to get way ahead of ourselves!!!

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »
I have been told that Joe Smith is going to redshirt. 

Offline FalconWrestlingKY

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 06:10:44 am »
I have been told that Joe Smith is going to redshirt.

Rumors that Weigal is hurt as well

It appears Ok State is throwing in the towel for a title run this year
Topics Falcon doesn't know anything about- Cars, Binary, Accounting, and 13th Century Polish Literature