Author Topic: Big name classic rock groups everyone likes but you  (Read 806 times)

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
Re: Big name classic rock groups everyone likes but you
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 11:16:37 pm »
Santana.  I tire of hearing Black Magic Woman and Oye Como Va 50 times a day.

Why would you... oh, wait.  You listen to "radio", don't you?

Listening to the same two songs until you're sick of them isn't much of a way to judge a group.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 08:36:23 am »
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • VERA LIBERTAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 02:55:49 pm »
Rolling Stones are garbage
I always bring my hips to the party.

Online RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 04:33:21 pm »

Listening to the same two songs until you're sick of them isn't much of a way to judge a group.

He's still working off that 8mm cassette he made back in '81.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 11:34:23 am »

He's still working off that 8mm cassette he made back in '81.

I will admit I am a dinosaur.  No smartphone, no apps, no way to listen to music other than the local radio.  Or at least I am not versed enough not want to take the time to do Pandora or any other music app service. 

To Ray's point, if the radio would play other songs from Santana or other groups, that would be nice.  We have an NPR station here that does the news and the rest of the time it does Jazz.  I don't like Jazz that much, but on Sat and Sun they play 6 hours of blues in the evening.  I tune in and listen when I'm on the road.  I really like it.  Stuff I've never heard.  But you don't get that on commercial radio. 

There's a song by Grand Funk called Creepin' from their American Band album.  I really like it but never hear it.  I called the radio station, asked them to play it, they said it doesn't fit the program they have.  For being so old, I really like Pearl Jam, Alice n Chains, and Soundgarden.  I also  liked The Screaming Trees when they had some stuff going.  That was a nice reprieve from the soulless bands of the 80's. 

I do have some cassettes.  No 8 track, I always thought those were stupid.  The cassettes were recorded from my LP's that I wanted to save wear and tear on.  I have a bunch of my old LP's still.  But alas, my stereo is not set up and I don't have time to just sit and listen.   

So it's not that I hate Santana so much, I hate what is offered to me with regards to Santana in the car while I'm driving. 

Back to the topic - Anything Disco or Rap.

mspart

mspart

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 11:39:43 am »
I hear you, mspart.  I too am a dinosaur.  I have never owned a cell phone.  I do have a massive CD collection and will pop one in while traveling to avoid the repeat, repeat, repeat.
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline ocianain

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 06:10:23 pm »
I'm not a big Beatles fan.

Me either.
The Seeking For One Thing Will Find Another - Irish Proverb

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 07:01:59 pm »
I like the later Beatles.  In the band I was in we did a Beatles medley that was pretty fun to do. 

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 10:56:28 am »
I have never owned a cell phone.

Why?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 01:42:04 pm »

Why?

I have a cell phone, but it is a flip phone.  Never had a smart phone.  Don't want to be tied to it and look mindless.  I already have that look!!!  I know the question was not for me.  CTC still has the ball. 

mspart

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 02:23:23 pm »
I will admit I am a dinosaur.  No smartphone, no apps, no way to listen to music other than the local radio.  Or at least I am not versed enough not want to take the time to do Pandora or any other music app service.

When I can I watch youtube concert videos and wrestling matches.

I'm pretty sure you know how to find new music if you're interested.

I have a cell phone, but it is a flip phone.  Never had a smart phone.  Don't want to be tied to it and look mindless.  I already have that look!!!

"If I could carry a device in my pocket which gave me access to the greatest library in human history, I wouldn't, because I wouldn't want to look mindless."

Yeah.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 03:49:28 pm »

When I can I watch youtube concert videos and wrestling matches.

I'm pretty sure you know how to find new music if you're interested.

I have a cell phone, but it is a flip phone.  Never had a smart phone.  Don't want to be tied to it and look mindless.  I already have that look!!!

"If I could carry a device in my pocket which gave me access to the greatest library in human history, I wouldn't, because I wouldn't want to look mindless."

Yeah.

Not really.  I'd rather not look like this:

OR

For the library aspect, I go home and look on my computer with a screen size that is more conducive to reading.   Don't need to carry it with me.  I'm in a high tech job in engineering but am a luddite with regard to smartphones.  Too busy for the nonsense that comes with them (facebook, email, Snapchat, etc).   

mspart

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 06:00:27 pm »
Not really.  I'd rather not look like this:

Most of those people have flip phones. The rest seem to be reading The Story of the Stone and A Short History of England, and watching videos on microeconomics and abstract algebra.

I guess they'd look more intellectual if they were lugging around blocks of paper, but that's pretty silly just for show.

We're talking about handheld computers.  You're making a decision about whether to use one based on what the cool or uncool kids look like with them?  That's junior high school reasoning.

For the library aspect, I go home and look on my computer with a screen size that is more conducive to reading.   Don't need to carry it with me.  I'm in a high tech job in engineering but am a luddite with regard to smartphones.  Too busy for the nonsense that comes with them (facebook, email, Snapchat, etc).

I'm happy to report that absolutely nothing about a smartphone obliges you to use any of those things.  And you can still listen to the radio if you own a smartphone, though God only knows why you would.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:03:45 pm by Ray Brinzer »

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 06:28:07 pm »

Why?
1.  I see people "owned" by their cell phones
2.  I don't want calls all day, I have work to do and plans to fulfill
3.  I don't want my customers calling the day of and wanting me to drop everything and cater to them.  I have a schedule to keep and it takes a 12 hour day just to stay on schedule.  If they want extra work done, they can have me schedule it for a few days out.
4.  I'm cheap.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 07:32:46 pm »
We're talking about handheld computers.  You're making a decision about whether to use one based on what the cool or uncool kids look like with them?  That's junior high school reasoning.

Junior HS reasoning or a choice not to be distracted by the smart phone?  You are correct, it is a computer.  It is very rarely used as a phone.  I choose not to have one.  You apparently find that horrifying.  I'm really flattered by your concern but there is no need.  Believe it or not, you can be perfectly rational and not own a smart phone.  I feel there are more downsides to having a smart phone than not. 

Others have done it too.

http://it-takes-time.com/2016/02/09/why-i-got-rid-of-my-smartphone/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/why-ive-ditched-my-smartphone-for-a-dumb-old-nokia/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/11/smartphone-technology-addiction-facebook-twitter

http://www.mattmcwilliams.com/get-rid-smartphone-reasons/

https://www.buzzfeed.com/lukebailey/smartphones-are-the-devil?utm_term=.epO0DXz1d#.ljzDZQKzw

http://www.allmomdoes.com/2016/08/12/why-i-got-rid-of-my-smartphone/

So again, thanks for the concern but I'm not getting one very soon.

mspart