Author Topic: WHEN WRESTLING SAVES THE WORLD  (Read 468 times)

Offline Mrfess

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
WHEN WRESTLING SAVES THE WORLD
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:28:45 PM »
"Perhaps it sounds ludicrous; but it’s not necessarily as utopian as you might think. It’s not like John Lennon’s 'imagine'. It’s real. It doesn’t ignore the pitfalls of life. Instead, it brings us together as we face them head-on."

WHEN WRESTLING SAVES THE WORLD
https://www.missouriwrestling.com/when-wrestling-saves-the-world/

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: WHEN WRESTLING SAVES THE WORLD
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 02:17:09 PM »
Unfortunately for everyone, wrestling fans don't run Iran.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Mrfess

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »
Unfortunately for everyone, wrestling fans don't run Iran.

Agreed.

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 11:28:30 PM »
Talking out of my butt:

- Let's not forget the unity that wrestling had a few years ago when the IOC dropped wrestling. There was outcry on a global scale. After all, wrestling is a on Olympic sport that is not dominated by a global region (think table tennis & water polo), or by  countries with certain economic strengths (crew & equestrian comes to mind). Rather, wrestling is a sport where rich and poor, large and small have found success.  Heck, I was living in India when Sushil Kumar earned his bronze in Beijing and the place went crazy.  Now, wrestling is popular enough to have an actual pro league where they bring in wrestlers from all over the country to compete...and televise.Plus, Dangal is the most watched Bollywood movie ever.

The top-dogs in the sport are very different politically and culturally: USA, Iran, and Russia. But all three banded together to get the sport back in the Olympics.  Is that sense of camaraderie still there?

- Waaaaay back in my college days, I remember a professor of mine talking about the USA vs. Iran soccer match.  He stated that the Iranian government lifted a ban on western TV stations so that people could watch the game.  Quite a few of the population purchased satellite dishes and and watched European channels to watch the game.  Well, after the game was over, people kept their satellite dishes up and continued to watch western TV programs.  It would be cool if ESPN, StarSports, and BeIN Sports show more wrestling on their stations, after all, there already is an international consumer market that wants to watch more wrestling....and whatever program just happens to be on after the wrestling matches conclude.

Offline Mrfess

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »
Talking out of my butt:

- Let's not forget the unity that wrestling had a few years ago when the IOC dropped wrestling. There was outcry on a global scale. After all, wrestling is a on Olympic sport that is not dominated by a global region (think table tennis & water polo), or by  countries with certain economic strengths (crew & equestrian comes to mind). Rather, wrestling is a sport where rich and poor, large and small have found success.  Heck, I was living in India when Sushil Kumar earned his bronze in Beijing and the place went crazy.  Now, wrestling is popular enough to have an actual pro league where they bring in wrestlers from all over the country to compete...and televise.Plus, Dangal is the most watched Bollywood movie ever.

The top-dogs in the sport are very different politically and culturally: USA, Iran, and Russia. But all three banded together to get the sport back in the Olympics.  Is that sense of camaraderie still there?

- Waaaaay back in my college days, I remember a professor of mine talking about the USA vs. Iran soccer match.  He stated that the Iranian government lifted a ban on western TV stations so that people could watch the game.  Quite a few of the population purchased satellite dishes and and watched European channels to watch the game.  Well, after the game was over, people kept their satellite dishes up and continued to watch western TV programs.  It would be cool if ESPN, StarSports, and BeIN Sports show more wrestling on their stations, after all, there already is an international consumer market that wants to watch more wrestling....and whatever program just happens to be on after the wrestling matches conclude.

This is good stuff! Great thoughts and input.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 03:14:15 PM »
Wrestling will save the world.  It is the only thing that can.   :D

mspart

Offline Mrfess

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile