Author Topic: Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro Top Plus  (Read 72 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro Top Plus
« on: December 20, 2017, 12:40:52 pm »
I mentioned some time ago I got this guitar.  I can't afford a Gibson $1500+ version so I settled for this.  I did watch a video where the guys were kind of split on the sound in a blind fold competition between the Gibson and Epiphone.  The Gibson was a little bit clearer, not so muddy.  But it was really close to my ears.  So I got it.

I play it through my Marshall Code 50 amp and it sounds pretty good.  The only problem I have seen is there seems to be a mismatch in the pickups.  The bridge pickup does not seem as hot as the neck pickup.  This is pretty minor.  It drives the amp pretty good, the signal is quite a bit hotter than my son's Tele knockoff. 

It looks like this:

I ordered it used on GuitarCenter website.  It looked like a sunburst which is what I wanted.  When it came it was Honeyburst and I was disappointed.  I was about to send it back but that would have been a large cost.  So I took it, figuring the electronics are the same.  Afterwards I saw a few sunburst Epiphone Les Pauls and they are pretty substandard paint jobs.  This honeyburst is really nice looking and I actually like it better.  I paid less than new price for a guitar that was about 6 months old and had not been played much.  It was in pristine condition.

Bottom line - I really like it.  It sounds nice, plays nice, stays in tune forever, and is fun to play.  The Code 50 is a bit much in the house.  No way can I turn it to 11!!!   I have the Master volume at about 7-8 oclock, very low.  But that is plenty loud in the house for sure. 

Just thought I'd share my experience with it.  Overall, I couldn't be happier with my setup.  I might get a foot pedal for the amp so I can  change sounds on the fly.  The amp is a modelling amp so it can sound like 14 different preamps, 7 different power amps, with all different kinds of chorus's, flangers, and other effects.  I can program them so that my pedal can get to them pretty quickly.   

Merry Christmas everybody!

mspart

Offline Bob H.

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro Top Plus
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 01:08:43 pm »
It looks nice.

My brother-in-law has about a dozen different guitars, so I'm sure he could talk at length about your purchase.  The only instrument I can play is my stereo, but I do appreciate good music.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro Top Plus
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 02:32:07 pm »
I have a nice Precision Bass, the Epiphone, a Yamaha electric, a Yamaha acoustic (sounds nice, plays hard), and torn up guitar somewhere.  My sons have some others and #4 son built an electric guitar in wood shop.  It just needs to be set up and it would be a nice instrument I think. 

I'm not that good of a player, but I love to noodle around with them.

mspart