Author Topic: Overly intense team....  (Read 296 times)

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Overly intense team....
« on: January 01, 2018, 11:38:15 AM »
Dear All:

The other day I had to officiate a very intense (Iowa Brands mentality like team) team. Tough as nails, but they were a little dirty. I think I had 6 unnecessary roughness calls during the dual meet. The calls were bending fingers and windup cross-faces. I was hoping all these calls would settle down the team, but each wrestler that came to the mat were just relentless in their style. The coach wasn't the most professional either (and you could tell it was a top-down problem). So a couple questions...

a) Is there rulebook support to DEFAULT an entire team due to safety concerns an official may have? I know a wrestler can earn a flagrant misconduct for repeated unnecessary roughness calls, but couldn't find anything about defaulting a team.

b) Can a mat return be unnecessary roughness? (is it any different than an illegal slam?) Their mat returns seemed "textbook," besides the fact there was some borderline returns that look like the wrestler was trying to "punish" them on it.

c) What is some advice you could give to get CONTROL of a match (being the official). These wrestlers were pretty smart....after a second Unnecessary Roughness call, they would scale back a bit, each wrestler , especially if they got a quick lead would just be down right INTENSE (often overly intense....like Terry Brand at the collegiate level.....regardless of who their opponent was [weak or competitive].

It wasn't my best match and I wasn't exactly happy with how it went.....the aura with the match wasn't pleasant. In retrospect, I was thinking that I should have taken a "my time" and asked to speak to the head coach for a few moments and speak my mind.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Overly intense team....
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 06:26:22 AM »
"In retrospect, I was thinking that I should have taken a "my time" and asked to speak to the head coach for a few moments and speak my mind. "

This.

Plus, you will get a chance to have that conversation later in the season.