Author Topic: 2nd Overtime/ UTB situation  (Read 345 times)

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
2nd Overtime/ UTB situation
« on: February 21, 2018, 08:59:02 PM »
Dear All:

In an Overtime situation (2nd or UTB) [no stall calls at this point yet]...

Wrestler A is on Top of Wrestler B.

Wrestler B stands up with 13 seconds left , Wrestler A latches on to one ankle, but Wrester B is fighting hard and looks to be on the cusp of escaping , do you hold the stalemate call and let it go or call it immediately after 5 seconds? Is this a judgment call or at 5 seconds, do you have to stop and make the call?

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Overtime/ UTB situation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 09:49:28 AM »
I may give it a second or two but in general, I'm going to stalemate a "hanging on" situation fairly quickly.  If you haven't hit anyone for stalling by this point, it is difficult to hit someone in the last 30 seconds.  Especially when the rule in Ultimate Tiebreaker does not require the offensive to work for a fall.  He just needs to ride.  However, there is a difference between riding and hanging on.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Overtime/ UTB situation
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 10:50:57 AM »
My greatest fear....obviously, in the UTB, this is an act to "freeze" wrestling and by rule, called as a stalemate first....however...my fear is that the bottom man is on the cusp of escape , especially if the top wrestler is now just hanging on the shoe and/or ankle, and you blow it dead before the escape is allowed. It's almost like a Catch-22. You blow it dead....all that hard work the bottom word did to get in that position is out the window......you let it go....and HE DOESN'T escape, you wasted all that time. It's just an interesting situation.