Author Topic: Can you wave a 2pt takedown off in the 1st Overtime?  (Read 927 times)

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Can you wave a 2pt takedown off in the 1st Overtime?
« on: February 28, 2018, 02:41:10 PM »
First OT....

Wrestler A takes Wrestler B down, Ref quickly calls 2, but within a hair of a second, they're in a 50-50 situation. You've all seen what I'm talking about in a regulation portion of a match. I think we've all waved off a call at least once. Imagine this situation now in Overtime.  Yes, in OT, we need to be a little more patient. However, for discussion purposes.....can you wave off a 2 pt takedown (regardless if the scoring wrestler stops or continues action)? 

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
Re: Can you wave a 2pt takedown off in the 1st Overtime?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 03:40:35 PM »
Yes.  You won't be that popular with some team but you can do it.

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 05:13:47 PM »
Absolutely, if you believe you were quick with the call. It happens. The important thing is to get the call right, even if you have to eat your original call.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 06:17:38 PM »
My follow-up question is this.....

Coach takes you to the table and says,

"My wrestler stopped wrestling the second you called 2 points [thinking the match was over]!"

"How do you expect my wrestler to continue to wrestle when he thinks the match is officially over?"

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 06:41:11 PM »
Well, if it's OT, you should have blown the whistle when you called the TD, so of course he stopped wrestling.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 07:07:17 PM »
I fully understand, but for discussion purposes, the ref didn't have a chance to blow the whistle because everything happened so fast....Is this correctable? ....

As in ref calls 2 [ for Wrestler A]
Wrestler A stops Wrestling
B Continues to wrestle
Ref waves off 2
Flurry of action continues (all the aforementioned occurs in less than 2 seconds), wrestlers go out of bounds....even worse...Wrestler B scores a takedown.

Wrestler A's coach approaches the table.....

What is the right thing to do?

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 10:43:37 PM »
Your bad call caused the kid to stop wrestling. Call it bad time and start again from where you called the TD.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 08:27:26 AM »
Thank you, Akin. I hope to NEVER EVER be in this situation, but wasn't sure if it was correctable. I don't know why I think of these scenarios, but they pop up every once in a while. Thank you, again.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 08:40:12 PM »
We call that a tabletop exercise.  Its the best way to learn from difficult situations even though you may never encounter them.  We used to do that informally in the idle time before a tournament.  Throw out a situation and chat about it.  It is incredibly helpful since a lot of the calls are split second decisions. Worst case is when you've made the wrong call and its too late to correct it. I can tell you there are many a ref out there that were glad that video review was available that enabled them to reverse a bad call without criticism.