Author Topic: Oklahoma State  (Read 473 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Oklahoma State
« on: March 18, 2018, 07:59:46 PM »
How much time will lapse before John Smith pulls the plug on himself and Pat Popolizio takes the reins ?  Smith is only 52.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Oklahoma State
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 08:17:48 PM »
Just saw Joe McFarland is retiring after 19 seasons at Michigan. 

I know where my first call would be if I was the AD.

Offline Jerry Callo

• National Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 08:41:20 PM »
You don't think the Michigan job goes to Bormet?
Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »
I'm not the Michigan AD and Pat Popolizio is not a Michigan Man.

Offline brycemus

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 10:16:57 PM »
Bono is going to be getting some calls this Spring
Corey Clark: 2016-2017 Hawkeye Hammer

Offline goStanford18

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 11:44:09 PM »
4 All-Americans and tied for 13th with 37.5 team points. Is this the worst NCAA performance of John Smith's coaching career? I would have bet a lot of money against Oklahoma State placing out of the top 10. The lightweights really underperformed (Picc was outclassed by Lee and Lizak, and they made him look like he was a few tiers below him; Brock got beat at his own game against Wilson and didn't look good against Pletcher; 2x Champ Heil didn't even place). Is Eric Guerrero missed? There's no lightweight coach in the room, and it would appear that it showed. On the bright side, the lineup looks stacked next year:

125: Fix/Pic
133: Pic/Fix
141: Brock
149: Gfeller
157: Lewallen
165: Joe Smith
174: Rogers
184: Smith
197: Weigel
285: White

As good as this team looks on paper, they might not even be top 4 and could fall outside the top 5 again. PSU, tOSU, Iowa, Michigan, and NC State are all coming back strong.

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 09:25:25 AM »
4 All-Americans and tied for 13th with 37.5 team points. Is this the worst NCAA performance of John Smith's coaching career? I would have bet a lot of money against Oklahoma State placing out of the top 10. The lightweights really underperformed (Picc was outclassed by Lee and Lizak, and they made him look like he was a few tiers below him; Brock got beat at his own game against Wilson and didn't look good against Pletcher; 2x Champ Heil didn't even place). Is Eric Guerrero missed? There's no lightweight coach in the room, and it would appear that it showed. On the bright side, the lineup looks stacked next year:

As good as this team looks on paper, they might not even be top 4 and could fall outside the top 5 again. PSU, tOSU, Iowa, Michigan, and NC State are all coming back strong.
2009 with Jared Rosholt as the only AA was the worst year, I think they finished 14 or 16.

I think not having a true lightweight coach definitely hurt, and would like to see them bring in someone soon.
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »

2009 with Jared Rosholt as the only AA was the worst year, I think they finished 14 or 16.

I think not having a true lightweight coach definitely hurt, and would like to see them bring in someone soon.

Was this their first tournament without a top 3 placer?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 04:24:55 PM »
Well, I think they will be better next year.  But as I have said repeatedly and have been flamed for it, OKST tends to underperform as a rule.  Not every time, but just as a general rule of thumb.

There is something about peaking at the right time that PSU has fairly well mastered.  Iowa with Gable knew how to do that.  Ryan was quite successful too this year.

mspart

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »
Could Oklahoma State finish with 10 All Americans, but outside the top 3 in the team race?
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »
Minnesota did it, the only time its been done to my knowledge, and won the team race without a national champ. 

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »
Minnesota did it, the only time its been done to my knowledge, and won the team race without a national champ. 

mspart
Arizona State won without a champion also
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 12:39:28 PM »
I did not know that. 

Has there been a team where all 10 AA'd besides Minn?  I remember at the time them saying that was the first time that a team had all members AA.  Not only that, they won the team title to boot without a champ.  I think it would be the exception for sure.

mspart

Offline Cicero

• Conference Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 12:09:00 PM »

Was this their first tournament without a top 3 placer?
I would assume, but I can't say for sure. This is only the second time OSU finished outside the top 10, so it seems likely.
"The kinds of moves Oliver can hit are well beyond the kinds of moves I have the wrestling knowledge to describe" - LoSt