Author Topic: Iowa State 3.0, Oklahoma 1.0  (Read 2025 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Iowa State 3.0, Oklahoma 1.0
« on: March 19, 2018, 05:33:34 PM »
How long will ISU give Dresser? He has a very good staff and he's recruiting well and as long as he shows improvement next year and more the year after that he's safe.

Roselli is another story however. In TWO years his teams have scored 10.5 points and have 0 All Americans. Recruiting is less than adequate  with only 1 top 10 kid. The staff has only 1 one time National Champion. Looking at next year's team, there's only one or two kids with more than a snow ball's chance at AA. And really with the exception of 1 or 2 others the rest of the roster is D-II talent or lower.  Its time to pull the plug
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Iowa State 3.0, Oklahoma 1.0
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 06:31:32 PM »
Oh, give U of Okie a bit more time to get the most out of Roselli.  Hopefully he can recruit some better folks soon.  It's not like U of Okie has been a world beater in the last few decades. 

I say give them some time.  It takes some time to come out of the cellar.  WSU cougars have had patience with Coach Leach and it is finally paying off.  Hopefully Roselli can bring the program back to some prominence. 

mspart

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 06:45:26 PM »
How long will ISU give Dresser? He has a very good staff and he's recruiting well and as long as he shows improvement next year and more the year after that he's safe.

Roselli is another story however. In TWO years his teams have scored 10.5 points and have 0 All Americans. Recruiting is less than adequate  with only 1 top 10 kid. The staff has only 1 one time National Champion. Looking at next year's team, there's only one or two kids with more than a snow ball's chance at AA. And really with the exception of 1 or 2 others the rest of the roster is D-II talent or lower.  Its time to pull the plug
Dresser has a clear track record in rebuilding. I think he will have adequate time to do it again.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 11:54:08 PM »
When I hear OU alums tell me they would rather take their teams to another school's summer camp, because the OU camp is still so bad, even with Roselli there, it makes me wonder if he was the right choice for the program. If you can't treat your former athletes and their teams right, how are you treating everyone else?
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline goStanford18

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 12:51:50 AM »
I thought the Thomas brothers would have been a bit more impressive this year (showed a lot of promise in high school), but they're still very young. Perhaps Mantanona or Demas can make some noise for the Sooners next year.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 09:40:19 AM »
Wrestle in front of 15,000 fans or 150, where would you want to wrestle?  Oklahoma is exhibit A for why collegiate wrestling is on fumes.
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 11:14:03 AM »
Oh, give U of Okie a bit more time to get the most out of Roselli.  Hopefully he can recruit some better folks soon.  It's not like U of Okie has been a world beater in the last few decades. 

I say give them some time.  It takes some time to come out of the cellar.  WSU cougars have had patience with Coach Leach and it is finally paying off.  Hopefully Roselli can bring the program back to some prominence. 

mspart

How do you take a bad team and make it much worse? Clearly this was not a good hire. I didnt like it at the time and I like it less now. If he was recruiting better, I'd be willing to give him more time, but its not. And frankly his coaching hires have been pathetic as well.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 12:36:59 PM »
I guess we'll see what happens.   2 years is not a lot of time to work the issue.  Still has leftovers from previous coach.  I imagine it is really tough to recruit to OU when OKST is so much better.  ISU is having the same difficulties.  Yes they just changed the coach but it took awhile.  To rebuild you have to convince top recruits that OU is their best choice.  Right now that is a tough sell. 

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 01:05:07 PM »
I guess we'll see what happens.   2 years is not a lot of time to work the issue.  Still has leftovers from previous coach.  I imagine it is really tough to recruit to OU when OKST is so much better.  ISU is having the same difficulties.  Yes they just changed the coach but it took awhile.  To rebuild you have to convince top recruits that OU is their best choice.  Right now that is a tough sell. 

mspart

Stan Able never had a problem recruiting. It can be done. But it needs someone young and with a name everyone knows and respects.

It might be time to offer the job to someone who is still competing and allow them to go on competing, as long as they have a full time assistant that can take over when the HC is gone.  Not a big benchmark to clear.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 01:52:44 PM »
Where is Teyon Ware?
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Online RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 02:17:56 PM »
Wyoming assistant...seems that name popped a few times at the Championships,  more so than Oklahoma.

Offline SingletSlinger

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 03:28:57 PM »
Giving a guy only two years to produce when he took over in like the fall is weak.

The guy has a proven track record and has some solid kids coming in.
Bunch of snowflakes run this board, sad how the mods cater to people that support one political party.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 06:48:21 PM »
Giving a guy only two years to produce when he took over in like the fall is weak.

The guy has a proven track record and has some solid kids coming in.
The only proven record at Oklahoma has been abject failure... and getting WORSE not better! Where has he succeeded as a college head coach? No where.

And just WHO are these "solid kids coming in"? How many are even ranked in the top ten, much less top five?

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 07:08:36 PM »
Patience Vise.   Give him a chance. 

From http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211156573

Lou Rosselli was named the head wrestling coach at the University of Oklahoma on August 30, 2016, after spending 10 years on the Ohio State coaching staff.

In Rosselli's first year at the helm the program's development was evident as the squad produced a 10-3 mark after the holiday break to finish the season with an 11-6 overall record, including wins over three ranked teams. In addition, the Sooners finished in second place at the 2017 Big 12 Championship, and eight wrestlers qualified for the 2017 NCAA Championships in St. Louis. Rosselli made a mark in the recruiting circuit as he picked up seven top-100 recruits to begin the 2017-18 season.

Rosselli was promoted from Buckeyes assistant coach to associate head coach following the 2008-09 season after helping lead OSU to NCAA runner-up finishes in 2008 and 2009. He also played an integral role in helping deliver the program's first national championship in 2015.

I guess helping build up tOSU is nothing.  They were not a powerhouse and now they are.  I'd give him some more time. 

mspart

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:50:53 PM »
^ This. I would concede to VG that, unlike Dresser, Roselli does not have a track record to stand on. That being said he hasn’t had near enough time to make the turn around. Patience, my friend.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton