Author Topic: Cost of a Top Twenty Division I finish  (Read 627 times)

Offline Jtm

• Schoolboy
  • #dontbealemming
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
Jack Moses
Takedown Scoring and Stats
Takedown LIVE

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Cost of a Top Twenty Division I finish
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 11:33:30 AM »
I'd hate to even see the numbers on Oklahoma.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline pinnum

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 09:57:31 AM »
You can't use a sampling of only top-20 teams and establish trends or determine over/under performers.

You need to look at all programs or at least a random sampling of all programs.  But even then it will be hard to compare since wrestling teams scores compound so you don't get a true linear representation of performance.

Offline pinnum

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 10:02:15 AM »
Additionally, one year is a poor metric for looking at performance per dollar.

Offline Jtm

• Schoolboy
  • #dontbealemming
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 12:38:42 AM »

This analysis doesn't attempt to show a trend though such a project might be interesting.

What is meant by "wrestling teams scores compound so you don't get a true linear representation of performance?"

No doubt some sort of analysis over the entire population would be interesting, especially over time. Not a trivial undertaking as the outcome data isn't available in a suitable format. The NCAA should do a better job with creating helpful datasets.

You can't use a sampling of only top-20 teams and establish trends or determine over/under performers.

You need to look at all programs or at least a random sampling of all programs.  But even then it will be hard to compare since wrestling teams scores compound so you don't get a true linear representation of performance.
Jack Moses
Takedown LIVE

Offline Jtm

• Schoolboy
  • #dontbealemming
    • View Profile
    • LevelChanger
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 12:40:24 AM »

One year is inadequate for trending.  Year isn't a metric, but I understand your point and it is a good one.

Additionally, one year is a poor metric for looking at performance per dollar.
Jack Moses
Takedown LIVE