Author Topic: Another hypothetical scenario --- Delayed stall call possible?  (Read 459 times)

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
Scenario:

3rd Period
Neither wrestle has been warned with stalling

Wrestler A has 4 points
Wrestler B has 3 points

Wrestler A is on top of Wrestler B.

Nearing the end of third period (15 seconds left), Wrestler A is holding onto the ankle of Wrestler B for dear life....Wrestler B is on the cusp of escaping.....5 seconds pass, you're about to warn for stalling but you see Wrestler A is going to escape and do not make a call.....4 seconds later, Wrestler B escapes......

Questions:

1) Was this wrong? Should the ref call WARNING immediately after 5 seconds?
2) After the escape, could you make a delayed stall call or no? I'm assuming no, but thought I'd ask

Is their proper protocol for this situation or can a ref use his/her best judgment when officiating this situation.

Thanks.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: Another hypothetical scenario --- Delayed stall call possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 09:36:11 PM »
The rule is 5 seconds..... Not, 5 seconds, but if....

The call should be made without hesitation.  Calling it late is a disservice to both wrestlers and not good for your ratings.

No different than calling a pin after the wrestler has rolled out.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:38:58 PM »
Thank you.....just seems a tad unfair since the wrestler isn't getting penalized any points, and now only a few seconds left, plus he gets a fresh start on top. 

Offline SingletSlinger

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 10:53:44 AM »
There is no magical 5 second count in high school wrestling.

Collegiate rules have a 5 second count when dropping down.
Bunch of snowflakes run this board, sad how the mods cater to people that support one political party.

Offline scmathlete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:11:41 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong (been a few years since I reffed), but I believe that if wrestler B is on his feet with wrestler A hanging on, you can warn him for stalling without stopping the match, and wrestler B can still try to get his escape.

Offline SingletSlinger

• World Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 03:32:07 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong (been a few years since I reffed), but I believe that if wrestler B is on his feet with wrestler A hanging on, you can warn him for stalling without stopping the match, and wrestler B can still try to get his escape.

Correct, if they are belly to back on their feet.

If they are on the mat and the top guy is hanging onto a leg you stop the match and ding him for stalling...and chastise him for being a cheater.
Bunch of snowflakes run this board, sad how the mods cater to people that support one political party.

Offline matref0

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »
You have to use your judgement.  If the score is close and a wrestler immediately drops to an ankle he is now hanging on, not wrestling.  It is often better to stop the match sooner than later to warn or penalize.  That way the defensive wrestler has time to restart and try to escape.  By waiting and waiting to see if an escape occurs, more time is chewed.  In your scenario, 9 seconds went by before an escape.  If the escape did not occur and you decided to warn, you would be stopping the match with 5-6 seconds.  Not much opportunity for the defensive wrestler to do something after the restart.  You may think an escape is going to occur but sometimes it doesn't and there isn't much time on the clock.

I'm not a fan a warning or penalizing with little time in the third period when there have been no warnings up to that point.  Makes the ref look foolish, IMO and it is a waste of time.  In cases when the wrestler is just hanging (like this), stop it and warn him quickly.

There is no delayed stalling call.