Author Topic: Suicide  (Read 941 times)

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Suicide
« on: June 08, 2018, 11:48:19 AM »
Rates have never been higher.  Couple of celebs offed themselves this week but most aren't publicized.  We're all connected so what's the problem?
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 12:24:52 PM »
Fame and fortune does not make one happy.  Certainly folks without fame and fortune commit suicide for various reasons, depression being 99% of it.  But having fame and fortune does not shield one from depression and lack of self worth.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 05:14:01 PM »
Rates have never been higher.  Couple of celebs offed themselves this week but most aren't publicized.  We're all connected so what's the problem?

Up astoundingly, 40% over 10 years. Notably, mass murders parallel that trend.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 05:27:53 PM »
1st world problems is tough.

mspart

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 11:47:28 AM »
Residents of third world countries have less trivial things to worry about; in first world countries we are driven by materialism, focusing our attention on money and the likes. Third world countries are more focused on the essentials - food, water, air, shelter, happiness, community, singing, dancing etc.
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
    • http://ray.brinzer.net/
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 04:19:30 PM »
I think this takes our all-time "Worst Title for a Topic" award.  I do not enjoy finding messages entitled, "Suicide".

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 06:20:42 PM »
It is alright to me to remove this thread Ray.  What do you say buck and RYou?

mspart

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »
Removal would be idiotic but it's not my company.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 06:43:42 PM »
It is alright to me to remove this thread Ray.  What do you say buck and RYou?

There's nothing wrong with the discussion; it's a valid topic.  It's generally good to give threads titles which make it clear what they're about; it's not only helpful now, but if you later want to search for something you read.

A one-word title tends to be ambiguous. The present title was intended to mean, "Suicide (Rates are Going Up)".  I initially read it as, "(I Have Decided to Commit) Suicide", which was alarming.

Offline lkwdsteve

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 07:39:38 PM »
I took it as a reference to some current news that garnered big headlines (Spade, Bourdain).

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 07:39:54 PM »
The message that life has no meaning or purpose has a depressing outlook.
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 08:45:18 AM »
The reaction to the topic here is not unusual.  Suicide terrifies most people and is seen as a character or moral flaw — or even a sinful act. It is viewed as something shameful that must be hidden.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 02:20:56 PM »
Leading cause of death for college students and higher than motor vehicle accidents.  Up almost 40% in less than 10 years.

Offline Ray Brinzer

• Ipse Dixit
  • Administrator
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »
The reaction to the topic here is not unusual.  Suicide terrifies most people and is seen as a character or moral flaw — or even a sinful act. It is viewed as something shameful that must be hidden.

For me, it's the same as getting a phone call that starts, "Hey Ray.  (Pause.)  You remember so-and-so?"  I generally expect that the next thing I'm going to hear is how so-and-so died.  After awhile, you learn the pattern.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 03:18:11 PM »
I think 2 other factors for increased suicide is Hollywood culture and pharmaceuticals.  Many new drugs contribute.  I would imagine the flopping of gender normalcy add some to the numbers too.
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal