Author Topic: Suicide  (Read 739 times)

Offline Bob H.

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 07:26:18 PM »
Stress can also be a factor.

A former coworker of mine was on a high profile team assigned to revamp the entire scheduling, estimating and materials programs.  His ideas were ignored by the rest of the team and he got steamrollered.  Any time he raised an objection or suggested an alternative, he was told, "Our hands are tied.  We can't do it.". 

Late Friday a little over a year ago, he hanged himself in the executive conference room.  His hands were tied together.

Obviously, in his mind, he was sending a message.  Management hushed everything up and swept it under the rug.  They ended up spending about $500 million on a new system that, at this point, doesn't work near as well as the old system.  Message ignored.

There is NOTHING at the company worth killing yourself over.  In his case, he had been to counselling, but (obviously) still had unresolved issues.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 10:30:43 AM »
I think 2 other factors for increased suicide is Hollywood culture and pharmaceuticals.  Many new drugs contribute.  I would imagine the flopping of gender normalcy add some to the numbers too.

I agree with drugs. Addiction is extremely depressing and seems to be on the rise. Hollywood culture? Maybe a tiny bit. The media certainly doesn't help. Flopping of gender normalcy? Give me a break. That's crazy.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 07:39:34 AM »
I think 2 other factors for increased suicide is Hollywood culture and pharmaceuticals.  Many new drugs contribute.  I would imagine the flopping of gender normalcy add some to the numbers too.

I agree with drugs. Addiction is extremely depressing and seems to be on the rise. Hollywood culture? Maybe a tiny bit. The media certainly doesn't help. Flopping of gender normalcy? Give me a break. That's crazy.
Perhaps you should read more.  There suicide rate is off the charts and the drugs that they have to take to try to become what they never can become have MASSIVE harmful effects.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160831110833.htm
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 09:24:56 AM »
Even if they did CTC (I doubt it but maybe I'll have time to read your article later) there aren't that many people switching gender in the first place for that to have any significant effect on overall suicide rates.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 11:01:10 AM »
I think the point is that it is large in that population.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 05:08:35 PM »
Excerpt from a study by teh National Assocaition for Suicide Prevention.

............."transgender.... is 41 percent, which vastly exceeds the 4.6 percent of  the overall U.S. population who report a lifetime suicide"

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/AFSP-Williams-Suicide-Report-Final.pdf

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 09:34:43 PM »
Even if they did CTC (I doubt it but maybe I'll have time to read your article later) there aren't that many people switching gender in the first place for that to have any significant effect on overall suicide rates.
Try reading my post more carefully next time.

"People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline Intensity guru

• LXP
  • Get a Job
  • MEMENTO MORI
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 02:57:19 PM »
Try reading my post more carefully next time.

Some things never change
I always bring my hips to the party.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 09:39:19 AM »
Maybe we can add Falcon as a statistic to this list.  He hasn't been on here since 6/30.  Yep, looks like Trump Derangement Syndrome got the better of him.

Online AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 06:53:54 PM »
Maybe we can add Falcon as a statistic to this list.  He hasn't been on here since 6/30.  Yep, looks like Trump Derangement Syndrome got the better of him.

Classy.  ::)
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2018, 08:06:48 AM »

Humorless. 

Online AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 12:04:04 PM »

Humorless.

The suicide line of humor doesn't do much for me.
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 12:12:32 PM »
Residents of third world countries have less trivial things to worry about; in first world countries we are driven by materialism, focusing our attention on money and the likes. Third world countries are more focused on the essentials - food, water, air, shelter, happiness, community, singing, dancing etc.

One might also argue that first world countries have ever increasing numbers of agnostics and atheists.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell