Author Topic: NFL  (Read 1840 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: NFL
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 07:22:54 PM »
The risk of CTE in high school and younger is infinitesimal.  It's an absolute joke that parents are scared that their little boys will be injured.

You don't get it Buck...CTE results from chronic head trauma, from micro to macro concussions.  Peewee and high school is just the initiation stage.  The effects from CTE take time to emerge, sometimes 20 sometimes 50 years.  I sense there is an aspect of individual sensitivity, like many diseases, which is the reason some of the baddest over the history of football and boxing never sustained the symptoms.

Besides, parents are as sensitive to CTE as they are to a plain old concussion. 

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 09:07:58 AM »
No I get it.  Kind of like knee injuries start from the moment a child walks and the cumulative effects of gravity resulting in skeletal breakdowns.  The solution is for all of us to remain inert.
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 09:19:08 AM »
...and build a country of Twiddle Dee's and Twiddle Dums.

...so flip your kids to soccer.......and concuss then with soccer balls.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2018, 10:17:25 AM »
The risk of CTE in high school and younger is infinitesimal.  It's an absolute joke that parents are scared that their little boys will be injured.

The brains of young boys and girls are more vulnerable.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2018, 10:19:01 AM »
No I get it.  Kind of like knee injuries start from the moment a child walks and the cumulative effects of gravity resulting in skeletal breakdowns.  The solution is for all of us to remain inert.

We all have to walk buck... We dont HAVE to subject our brains to repeated trauma
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2018, 12:05:13 PM »
I would rather subject my son to possible brain damage playing youth football than him becoming a pussy. 
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 03:14:38 PM »
I would rather subject my son to possible brain damage playing youth football than him becoming a pussy.

So ALL kids who didnt play youth football are pussies?

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »
Pretty much. ;D

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 07:35:07 PM »
Mommies don't want their boys to grow up to be cowboys, just metro-nomes

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 09:30:50 PM »
Like this?

Ha ha!!! 

mspart

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 10:41:22 AM »
Saw a sign across the street from a local park that advertised "tackle football ages 5 - 12" with a number to call for the local league.

Then I thought, "is youth football the only sport played just like the adult prodessional league?"

For instance, in soccer...no headers until 12.

In hockey, no checking in the younger leagues.

In wrestling, no 5-point throws until a certain age.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »
Ever watch a youth football game?  22 marshmellows having fun.  Absolutely zero risk of injury.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2018, 11:15:39 AM »
Hey when I played in 2nd and 3rd grade, it was life and death.  Then I watched the movies my dad made (8mm no sound) and it is pretty much like buck describes.  Growing up in Huntsville, AL, football was serious business.  But it was the 65 lb league and I was at 45 on a good day.  After 3rd grade I had to move up to the 85 lb league and my mom said no.  She didn't want me to get squished.  I didn't get above 65 lbs until 9th grade.  My dad took me to a local HS wrestling match between Butler HS and some other school and that was it, I had found my calling.  Started wrestling in 7th grade and have kept it up ever since. 

WRESTLING - It's in the blood.

mspart

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »
Ever watch a youth football game?  22 marshmellows having fun.  Absolutely zero risk of injury.

Here's some education.....

A report in the June 2016 issue of the Journal of Neurotrauma found that the likelihood of developing cognitive and emotional problems is linked to a football player’s overall exposure to contact and not just to his diagnosed concussions. In other words, every little hit adds up, which explains why NFL veterans who started playing before the age of 12 are more likely to have cognitive problems than those who picked up the game later. These days, many players start earlier — and the truly dedicated scrimmage all year long.

For years many doctors believed that children were less likely than adults to suffer serious head injuries in football, for the simple reason that they weigh less and run more slowly than adults do. Now it’s well understood that until about age 14, a kid’s head is much larger than an adult’s compared with his body, yet the neck is weaker, which means the head bounces around more in response to collisions. Researchers at Virginia Tech found that seven-year-old football players experienced head blows comparable in force to the impacts suffered by college players.

To make matters worse, the nerve fibers in children’s brains are not yet coated with the protective sheathing known as myelin. As a result, “it’s easier to tear apart neurons and their connections in children at lower impact,” says Dr. Robert Cantu, the author of Concussions and Our Kids and a leading researcher of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), the brain-wasting disease that has been diagnosed in dozens of deceased football players. The threat to emerging neural connections is particularly problematic at Brogan’s age. “If you injure your brain during that time,” Cantu says, “there is a high likelihood that you will not reach your maximal genetic endowment intellectually, and you’ll perhaps not have the same personality with regard to depression, anxiety, and panic attacks.”
www.mensjournal.com/features/how-an-11-year-olds-brain-injury-rattled-a-football-family-w448627/

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 05:36:39 PM »

Now it’s well understood that until about age 14, a kid’s head is much larger than an adult’s compared with his body, yet the neck is weaker, which means the head bounces around more in response to collisions.

This is similar reasoning behind the higher incidence of concussion in women's basketball at the collegiate level.  The cumulative impact of micro concussionssustained running up and down court, not elbows under the basket.