Author Topic: NFL  (Read 1841 times)

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: NFL
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 07:17:10 PM »
Get bigger necks!   

I'd have to say the concussion research has come a long way from get back in there and quit crying.

mspart

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 07:29:08 AM »
I'm getting menstrual cramps reading all this data about head injuries.
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Offline Bob H.

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 09:04:31 AM »

You could always take some Midol.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2018, 04:01:54 PM »

At least now you know.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 09:10:10 AM »
Breathing has complications.
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2018, 11:26:08 AM »
Breathing is deadly when it stops. 

mspart

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2018, 09:01:39 PM »
Hey when I played in 2nd and 3rd grade, it was life and death.  Then I watched the movies my dad made (8mm no sound) and it is pretty much like buck describes.  Growing up in Huntsville, AL, football was serious business.  But it was the 65 lb league and I was at 45 on a good day.  After 3rd grade I had to move up to the 85 lb league and my mom said no.  She didn't want me to get squished.  I didn't get above 65 lbs until 9th grade.  My dad took me to a local HS wrestling match between Butler HS and some other school and that was it, I had found my calling.  Started wrestling in 7th grade and have kept it up ever since. 

WRESTLING - It's in the blood.

mspart

Mine went like this:

My sister drove me to Pop Warner signups.

When we arrived, two clinically obese men greeted us with clipboards.

I asked to place my name on the sign-up sheet.

The guy on the right asked my age.

I replied.

The guy on the left chuckled and said "Yur too small."

Then, we drove home.

I assume those two guys were dead by 40

Offline Bob H.

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »
I always wanted to wrestle, so I don't have one of those stories.  Mine was when I was 21 years old and in college.  The high school gym was open in the summers, so I lifted weights there because it was free, which was great for a broke college kid.

I was 5'-10" tall, with a walking around weight of 142 pounds. 

One day, I decided to try for a max on the bench.  After a few warmups, I put 275 pounds on the bar.

A big, fat high school football player said, "Are you gonna lift that?  HYUCK, HYUCK, HYUCK!"

"I'm gonna try."

I brought the bar to my chest, popped it back up and racked it.  The kids jaw was still on the floor when I got up.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2018, 12:16:39 PM »
Now illegal to tackle the QB.  Penalty on Clay Matthews cost Green Bay the win against Minnesota.  Not worth it anymore to even brush up against the QB.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2018, 05:18:48 PM »

Actually it's called a Scoop and Pull which was the way you were taught to tackle years ago.  You just can't do it to a QB in the NFL anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn83NcpAQsg

He led with his shoulder...perfect
Right arm wrapped the hip...perfect
Left arm locked behind the knee with a pull....Scoop - PENALTY

He hit Cousins with enough force to knock him down without wrapping him up behind the knee.

What is borderline in that hit, Cousins never left the ground, the unscooped foot remained in contact.  It is usually called after the tackler lifts the QB off the ground and plants his back into the ground with the shoulder in the gut.  You are almost guaranteed to knock the wind out of the QB and send him to the sidelines for a set.

I had the luxury of making that hit on a defenseless punt returner...entirely legit hit off a perfectly timed 35 yard run into a stationery object, just after he caught the ball.  Best hit I ever put on someone.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2018, 08:28:21 AM »
Ridiculous.  Virtually every play in the NFL results in a penalty.

We play a drinking game that you can try yourselves.  You can't take a drink until a game goes 5 plays or more without a timeout/stoppage (replay/review, penalty, time out, injury, tv timeout, 2 minute warning).  I guarantee you'll be sober by end of game.

In the average NFL game now the ball is in play for only 12 minutes.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2018, 10:42:01 AM »
Yeah, what does he know?  Probably been hit in the head too many times to think straight anymore. 

mspart

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2018, 11:15:44 AM »
He gets quality poon though.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2018, 02:57:13 PM »
If you watch in slomo, Cousins right leg goes elevated before it gets scooped..  Even the incoming angle and direction of the fall there is no way that leg wasn't going to get scooped unless the arm was left dangling at this side. Technically the call can't be challenged especially when refs are stuck with bang bang decisions, but that one could have gone without the flag