Author Topic: Will NCAA adopt new football redshirt rule for wrestling?  (Read 290 times)

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Will NCAA adopt new football redshirt rule for wrestling?
« on: August 14, 2018, 05:07:47 PM »
Division I football players are now allowed to play in up to four games in a season while keeping a redshirt and not losing a year of eligibility. The NCAA previously considered a redshirt burned if a player took the field for a single play of live action in any game.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/13/17460076/ncaa-redshirt-rule-change-2018

I dont think the NCAA will allow this for wrestling as they already competition for redshirts as unattached in tournaments. But who knows?

Do you think it would be good or bad for college wrestling?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: Will NCAA adopt new football redshirt rule for wrestling?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 05:47:22 PM »
The deep just got a little deeper.

It completely removes the selling point for the non-Power five that "you can play here this year and not have to sit as a redshirt."

it could also be the start of pulling the 6th year of eligibility for a medical waiver.  The number of games played for keeping a year of eligibility due to injury is also a max of 4.

In theory, you could have a kid play in 6 years of competition.

FR - play 4 but injured -keep a red shirt  (Under the old rule, this red shirt year would be lost and would count as an eligibility year)
RFR - play 4 but injured for remainder (qualifies as 2nd year of injury under medical waiver rules)
RSO - play 12
RJR - play 12
RSR - play 12
GR - play 12 under medical waiver,

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 05:48:26 PM »
I don't know.  Give them a little taste of competition during the year, or use for an injury to the varsity guy.  I think there would be uses for this in wrestling. 

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 05:57:34 PM »
We shall call this the Saban Rule.  His playable roster just jumped 25 %

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 02:23:05 PM »
The deep just got a little deeper.

It completely removes the selling point for the non-Power five that "you can play here this year and not have to sit as a redshirt."

it could also be the start of pulling the 6th year of eligibility for a medical waiver.  The number of games played for keeping a year of eligibility due to injury is also a max of 4.

In theory, you could have a kid play in 6 years of competition.

FR - play 4 but injured -keep a red shirt  (Under the old rule, this red shirt year would be lost and would count as an eligibility year)
RFR - play 4 but injured for remainder (qualifies as 2nd year of injury under medical waiver rules)
RSO - play 12
RJR - play 12
RSR - play 12
GR - play 12 under medical waiver,
I'd love to have Baker Mayfield for one more year!
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 02:23:53 PM »
I don't know.  Give them a little taste of competition during the year, or use for an injury to the varsity guy.  I think there would be uses for this in wrestling. 

mspart

Like perhaps a Fix v Lee match LAST year!