Author Topic: The Big Game tonight  (Read 129 times)

Offline straitshooter

• Bantam
    • View Profile
The Big Game tonight
« on: September 28, 2018, 08:31:49 AM »
As any true sports fan knows, the Australian Super Bowl comes on tonight, 12:30 am Eastern time.  For the first time, a player from the U.S. will take the field, and the Oklahoma State faithful can take pride:

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/24815489/afl-grand-final-collingwood-mason-cox-inspired-jimmy-stynes

So I've taken an interest in this game in the last year or two, it looks like it would be a lot of fun to watch when you're in college and drunk.  Anyway, this guy, Mason Cox, was the 13th man on the OSU 12-man basketball roster, meanwhile got his degree in Mechanical Engineering and graduated in 2014.  Just as he's about to take a job, the Aussies came to the U.S. looking for talent, and the OSU coach said, this guy has raw talent, maybe worth taking a look at.  Let's face it, when you're 6'11", you have unusual job opportunities.

I found a board like this one for their game, and in April fans of his team were screaming, the experiment has failed, worst signing ever, wasting a roster spot.  A few said give him a chance, he still doesn't even understand the game, but a bright kid, he'll learn fast.  In the semi's last week he dominated, all his doubters begged for forgiveness.  One thing the team likes, he's developed a snarl during the game.  One play the ball is up for grabs from three guys on the opposite team (a catch is a huge thing), all of the sudden these huge arms reach a foot over some guy's head and he plucks the ball away.  The other guy does the soccer thing, whining at the ref for some foul, and Cox just looks back at him, yeah, I took it away from you and not a damned thing you can do about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld2UO3rGoBU

A good guy - hope he has another monster game tonight.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Game tonight
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 11:56:27 AM »
Gotta love Australian Rules Football.........a lot more action than soccer.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
Saw a game in Melbourne between Melbourne and Adelaide.  It took awhile to figure out the rules (not sure we ever did really) but it was definitely fun to watch and there was almost constant excitement, no rest breaks, constant action and scoring. 

A bit rough. 

mspart

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 01:04:03 AM »
Cox's story is awesome.

- Played soccer growing up, not basketball.
- At OKSt, he was discovered by the women's basketball coach while he was in the gym one day.
- The women's coach asked him to come participate in their practices to be their shot blocker.
- Then, the men's coach saw him and invited him to join their squad.
- Played on their roster in the March Madness tournament
- Graduated and had a job offer with Exxon.
- But, a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy invited him to participate in the Aussie Rules combine.

- Now, is the largest player in the Grand Finals ever (122 years work of Grand Finals)
- First American in the grand finals.

-Alas, I'm still cheering for the West Coast Eagles (Lived in Perth, first footy game I went to was a Eagles vs. Magpies game at the Subiaco Oval).  Plus, members of the Eagles organization came to our school to teach us how to play.

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 01:10:35 AM »

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 09:45:05 AM »
West Coast Eagles 79 - Collingwood Magpies 74

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 09:50:50 AM »
Highlights.

At one point, they were down 31-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JirTw6MLblY

Offline a guest

• I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 10:02:23 AM »
Last one from me, I promise.

Cox's interview on the Footy Show on the 4th of July.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqrNrhDLLF8

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 03:22:16 PM »
Big game around here is BYU vs UW Huskies.  BYU just might win it.  Not going, I would like to go, but it would just be me and that is no fun.

mspart