Author Topic: PVCpeckers  (Read 187 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
PVCpeckers
« on: October 01, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »
So we replaced the wood trim under the eaves and behind the gutter with PVC at my son's house.  Now we've got a woodpecker pecking holes in the PVC.  Freaking bird is hanging upside down off PVC and pecking away.  He's chipped like holes, 2 went all the way through 1" PVC.  The previous wood wasn't bad. no bugs when we removed it.  No nests under the eaves.  The only difference, we put 2" D louvered vents in the eaves.

The PVC has been primed with latex and painted too.  All of the pecking is about an inch from the vent holes though there is evidence he's pecked at the louvers. 

Now we are trying to figure out how deter the pesky critter.  Got to find a way because I'm not Bondo-ing some 50 2" holes. 

I've researched and no one has a reasonable solution.  Hang streamers, one guy writes....fat chance buddy, not making the house look like a carnival.  I may try moth balls...just remove the vent , place a few moth balls to the inside and replace.  Hopefully the aroma will dissuade.  Freakin son put a crossbow arrow in the eave trying to bag the bugger.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: PVCpeckers
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 12:23:33 AM »
Two things.

1.  BB gun

2.  Product called Plast-Aid.  You mix it, it gets thicker and thicker you  fill the holes and you have no leaks. 

mspart

Online acguns

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 06:33:57 AM »
BB gun seems like the best option.
There are people I would take a bullet for and others that I would like to put a bullet in.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 08:39:05 AM »
Bondo works great for outdoor repairs, wood, anything.  Water resistant, sandable, paintable.....it's just the volume of holes.

Hate to do it but BB or pellet may be the last resort.  I'd hate to take out a redheaded woodpecker....a true "Woody", but he may have to go down.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »
https://www.plast-aid.com/

Check it out.

mspart

Online ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »
One of my earliest memories as a boy was going out with my dad and his .16 gauge to take care of the woodpecker... I had the honors of scaring the bird off the awning to watch him be virtually vaporized a second later.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »
I am against killing birds etc.  But when they become a nuisance and damaging, it is a last resort.

BTW, my dad also had a 16 gauge shotgun.

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 11:28:14 PM »
Peckerhead was back at an area I bondo'd...he gave up pretty quick.

We're gonna try hanging an owl from the gutter.

Offline scmathlete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 06:03:45 PM »
I would just like to be the juvenile that says that when I read the subject line, I was afraid that the topic was going to be something very different.

Offline ctc

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 06:24:21 PM »
Try placing a rubber snake there in a stealthy position.
Several are on "ignore".   I won't argue with the ignorant and disrespectful..
 "People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive" ~ Blaise Pascal

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »
I accidentally caught a bird in a rat trap.  It was not my intent.  We had rats pretty bad.  Got them all but a bird along with them.  A rat trap does a number on a rat.  You can imagine what it does to a small bird. 

mspart