Author Topic: New NFHS rules....Thoughts?  (Read 116 times)

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
New NFHS rules....Thoughts?
« on: October 31, 2018, 03:12:53 PM »
Dear Refs:

Another season, best of luck to everyone....

What are everyone's thoughts on the new rules :

--- New point of emphasis on Stalling and the out of bounds rule edits ----

Where do you think we'll see some problems?
What will wrestlers and coach exploit from these new rules?
What kind of situations could we run into problems?

General thoughts and feelings on the matter....

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: New NFHS rules....Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 05:08:09 PM »
Good rule changes but pretty significant. They will take some getting used to. I think making hands supporting points when the knees or hips are already down is weird though. Not sure how I feel about that one.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 02:38:51 AM »
Yeah, I agree. Wrestler gets takedown at the edge, offensive wrestler is completely out of bounds, other wrestler has his hands on the mat.....lifts one hand off the mat (within reaction time)....no takedown.....Be interesting to see how long it takes before coaches and wrestlers realize this....

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 09:16:33 AM »
So let me get this straight. For a takedown near the OOB line, basically all body parts count as supporting parts (to allow scoring of the TD) now except the feet of the defensive wrestler, right? A total of two of these body parts in means the takedown or score counts.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 04:57:40 PM »
Almost everything......what makes it a little confusing....sometimes the body part(s) have to break the cylinder (knees) to be out of bounds [on the mat] , other parts just have to be off the mat (hands).......there will be a learning curve for sure.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 10:20:41 AM »
I can see this rule evolving over future years to make it simpler to understand for everybody. Maybe it will just be 2 body parts, period.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 11:28:58 AM »
I saw something weird in rules. For an escape or takedown you need a total of 2 supporting parts inbounds. For a reversal, however, it is a total of 2 supporting parts inbounds or ON the boundary line. WTF? Why is this?

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Junior Varsity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 09:14:07 PM »
Maybe it was referring to the supporting points on a reversal has to be ON the mat......If offensive wrestler is completely out of bounds and defensive wrestler's knees are out but hands are ON the mat, it's a reversal, wrestler takes one hand off.....we're out of bounds......goes back to breaking the cylinder sometimes, and sometimes the supporting points just need to be off the mat (but still could be within the boundary line).