Author Topic: Who has been on the mat with these new rules yet?!?!  (Read 325 times)

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
Who has been on the mat with these new rules yet?!?!
« on: November 20, 2018, 11:31:03 AM »
I have yet to get  a taste of the action, but curious to hear some feedback on how things are going. Any hints, tip or feedback to watch out for with these new rules. Please feel free to share anything.

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Who has been on the mat with these new rules yet?!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 03:32:44 PM »
I've just done a couple middle school meets. Didn't seem like it came into play too often. After doing several matches I realized that when both wrestlers have one supporting part in, that never lasts very long. Another supporting part will come back in or out pretty quickly. In about 50 middle school matches, I can't think of one match where this made a difference on a takedown or not. On a close takedown call OOB, the defensive wrestler typically has all supporting parts OOB anyway.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 03:49:04 PM »
I really do like the new rule that backing OOB is automatically stalling. I think this will take a lot of the subjectivity out of those calls and keep people from doing that. I did notice during my middle school matches that nobody did it; in 50 matches or so. I think this rule could really make a difference. Of course, if somebody gets pushed out of bounds that is where there is more subjectivity to it still.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth - Albert Einstein, 1901

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Section Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing.....Middle school, you're not going to get great mat awareness. I'm curious to see how these seasoned varsity wrestlers adapt.....taken down at the edge, removing hands from the mat to avoid the two and all that fancy stuff.

I'm under the notion that backing out of bounds is not necessarily a STALL call unless

a) Other wrestler takes a shot and results in an OOB call --- STALL

If there is a takedown, not necessarily an AUTO stall call [only if he's been backing up on a couple other shots] --- NO STALL

b) If there is serious action at the edge, no stall call [in essence, there must be a shot, must land out of bounds to get the stall]

ALSO, very important, HOW THEY GOT THERE in the first place plays a pivotal role in the call two....if there was a huge flurry in neutral and they end up near the mat, but eventually end up neutral on their feet, and Wrestler A steps one foot out and Wrestler B shoots and no takedown occurs and they go out of bounds....I'm under the notion this is not a STALL CALL.

Thoughts?

Offline red viking

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 01:04:11 PM »
I think this applies to a situation where one wrestler simply intentionally backs out of bounds without being pushed. No takedown attempt. If there is a takedown attempt on the edge of the mat and he (for example) turns away to kick his leg out and they go out I think this would be treated same as before (typically NO stall).