Author Topic: Kevin Dresser  (Read 5067 times)

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Kevin Dresser
« on: January 27, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »
Is there any question that he has turned the ISU program around? What's he doing consistently that few others seem to be capable of?
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline OkieSpladle

• LXP
  • I Need More Hobbies
    • View Profile
Re: Kevin Dresser
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 10:09:13 AM »
All of this is 3rd hand info/observation from afar, but he seems to be excellent at identifying the strengths of his staff, then delegating tasks that use those strengths in the best ways possible. He also seems to be a good CEO, raising money, and dealing with issues that come up. The Zadick situation was a good example of that. I believe Zadick is a good coach, but there was obviously an issue there that threatened to derail the progress the program was making. Instead of burying his head in the sand or trying to make everyone happy, Dresser dismissed a guy who had been with him for several years. At the time, some wondered if that was the right call, but the way they are wrestling right now, it is hard to argue with.

We'll see where this goes. They aren't back to the level they need to be for the Dresser era to be considered a success, but I was impressed with the way they battled against Oklahoma State yesterday. Carr looks like the real deal as well. If the recruits keep coming, all signs point to the Cyclones climbing back into the top 10.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 01:41:21 PM »
That would be great!   I'd love to see that.  It has been a long time for them.

mspart

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 05:25:23 PM »
Gomez and Carr will both be very good next year, and I am very high on Ryan Anderson too when he makes it into the lineup. It'll be interesting to see where Dresser is able to take Iowa State by 2022. I am positive they'll be in the top 10 by then.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 08:25:00 AM »
Thanks for the input guys!

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 06:23:18 PM »
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 07:02:11 PM »
Surely you can do better than that!! You have to be honest and say that a competitive ISU program bodes well for U of I and UNI as well, don't you think?

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 07:02:33 PM »
Convincing Ryan Anderson to go to school in Ames, Iowa is nothing short of remarkable.  Bethlehem Catholic is 2 miles from Lehigh.
We are the storm.

Offline AcSlater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 07:47:22 PM »
Dresser hired a great staff and has done a great job getting interest back into the program and raising funds for the CRTC. From what I have seen the last couple years is that DSJ deserves a ton of credit also and is one of the main reasons for the cyclone turn around.

Offline Cruocified

• National Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 08:47:07 PM »
It's not like ISU is Oklahoma. To get back into the top 10 consistently isn't that difficult a task. To get back to being a consistent top 5 school will be a challenge. Good for Iowa? Doesn't really affect Iowa. Good for UNI? No.
I am the way, the truth, and the life.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 06:55:13 AM »
Convincing Ryan Anderson to go to school in Ames, Iowa is nothing short of remarkable.  Bethlehem Catholic is 2 miles from Lehigh.
Who wants to go to Lehigh? 😆 Just busting your chops buck.

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 12:29:06 PM »
It's not like ISU is Oklahoma. To get back into the top 10 consistently isn't that difficult a task. To get back to being a consistent top 5 school will be a challenge. Good for Iowa? Doesn't really affect Iowa. Good for UNI? No.

Actually.... prior to Dresser, they WERE like OU... .or worse.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 04:59:14 PM »

Actually.... prior to Dresser, they WERE like OU... .or worse.
I thought this thread might bring you back from the dead!  :D And you are correct, ISU was pretty low when Dresser came in. He's done a phenomenal job.

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline buf87

• DI
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 12:19:24 PM »
They are fun to watch.  Clones have an aggressive style that I haven't seen in many years.

Dresser works his butt off.  The attention to getting the CRTC going and building the fan base is probably what I am most impressed with.

We have a social after almost every home dual, so fans can listen to Dresser give a summary of the meet and fans get to talk with the staff and wrestlers.

Dresser also has a get together an  hour before the dual and give a brief update on the meet that is about to happen.

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 01:17:50 PM »
^ Cool!

― G.K. Chesterton