Author Topic: Anyone here knowledgeable about Arizona State?  (Read 466 times)

Offline BroncoSaurus

• OW
    • View Profile
Anyone here knowledgeable about Arizona State?
« on: March 26, 2019, 02:16:06 PM »
If so here is my question...................Anthony Valencia was redshirted this last season but he will be back for the 2019-2020 season.  Yet Arizona State already has Josh Shields well established at 165 lbs as he placed 6th at 165 lbs at this year's NCAA tournament.   So where will those two be competing next season?   Will Shields drop back down to 157 lbs (since Pagdilao is done)?  Or will one of them move up to 174 lbs with Zahid Valencia moving up to 184 lbs?   Just curious to know if anyone has any inside information on what will transpire next season regarding these two.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here knowledgeable about Arizona State?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »
I thought Zahid was moving up this year.  There is a kid there on the team from our HS team and that was the general idea last year.  Apparently didn't happen.  But I think this was the plan for awhile for both to move up. 

But I don't know for sure.

mspart

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 04:12:53 PM »
No insider knowledge. I would predict:

149: Teemer/Maruca
157: Maruca/Teemer
165: Shields
174: A. Valencia/Z. Valencia
184: Z. Valencia/A. Valencia

Shields is their best option at 165. Anthony has had two opportunities to make the podium there, but he failed both times. The guys he couldn't beat (Massa, Steiert, etc.) are still there, but Shields was able to get it done against them. I believe Teemer and Zahid will dictate what weights Maruca and Anthony get to compete.

184 only returns Max Dean and Dakota Greer as All-Americans. I personally think Anthony would be better off bulking up to 184.

174 returns:

Hall
Amine
McFadden
Labriola
Kutler
Skatzka
Kemerer

Zahid is good enough to win 174 or 184--probably good enough to win 197 too, so I guess he moves up for Anthony to slide in at 174.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:15:32 PM »
Given how bog Zahid was, dwarfing Hall, I can't see how he can hold 174 with another year of growth.  If his current cut is muscle atrophy, he will be a beast at 184.

Offline BroncoSaurus

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 09:22:52 AM »
Thanks for all of the (great) feedback guys.

What I take from all of this input by you guys is Zahid will be moving up to 184 lbs next  season - which is what I have suspected would occur.   But if that is the case does Kordell Norfleet move up to 197 lbs then?   Assuming Norfleet returns to compete next season.

My GUESS on the ASU lineup for next season would be

125 - Brandon Courtney - RS SO

133 - Josiah Kline - JR

141 - Cory Crooks - JR

149 - Jacori Teemer - RS FR
149 - Josh Maruca - SR

157 - Josh Maruca - SR
157 - Jacori Teemer - RS FR

165 - Josh Shields - SR

174 - Anthony Valencia - RS JR

184 - Zahid Valencia - RS SR

197 - Kordell Norfleet - JR

285 - Tanner Hall - RS SR
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline BroncoSaurus

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 09:24:05 AM »
Zahid moving up to 184 lbs..............I'm certain that would come as great news to Mark Hall.

Offline buck

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 10:24:22 AM »
Zeke Jones won jerk of the year as voted on by other coaches.
Christians warned about the Antichrist for years. And when he came, they voted for him.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 10:56:31 AM »
Zahid moving up to 184 lbs..............I'm certain that would come as great news to Mark Hall.

Hall would have to move up too, just so he could finally beat Zahid in the finals.  It is the only honorable thing to do.

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 12:05:38 PM »
I'm  pretty sure that Zahid would fare MUCH better at 184 lbs than Mark Hall would. 

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 07:03:09 PM »
I'm  pretty sure that Zahid would fare MUCH better at 184 lbs than Mark Hall would.
Agreed. Zahid has the structure for the weight. Hall would be small. Poetic justice. 😆
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline BroncoSaurus

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 09:48:10 AM »
No insider knowledge. I would predict:

149: Teemer/Maruca
157: Maruca/Teemer
165: Shields
174: A. Valencia/Z. Valencia
184: Z. Valencia/A. Valencia

Shields is their best option at 165. Anthony has had two opportunities to make the podium there, but he failed both times. The guys he couldn't beat (Massa, Steiert, etc.) are still there, but Shields was able to get it done against them. I believe Teemer and Zahid will dictate what weights Maruca and Anthony get to compete.

184 only returns Max Dean and Dakota Greer as All-Americans. I personally think Anthony would be better off bulking up to 184.

174 returns:

Hall
Amine
McFadden
Labriola
Kutler
Skatzka
Kemerer

Zahid is good enough to win 174 or 184--probably good enough to win 197 too, so I guess he moves up for Anthony to slide in at 174.

Since you are a Stanford guy how do you see Stanford's lineup for the 2019 - 2020 season?

This would be MY GUESS at that:

125 lbs – Gabriel Townsell – Senior

133 lbs – Dalton Young – RS Freshman

141 lbs – Real Woods – RS Freshman
141 lbs – Brandon Kier – Senior

149 lbs – Requir van der Merwe – RS Junior

157 lbs – Dominick Mandarino – Junior
157 lbs – Tyler Eischens – RS Freshman

165 lbs – Shane Griffith – RS Freshman

174 lbs – Brandon Dallavia – RS Junior
174 lbs – Foster Karmon – RS Sophomore

184 lbs – Judah Duhm – RS Sophomore
184 lbs – Austin Flores – RS Senior

197 lbs – Nathan Traxler – RS Junior

285 lbs – Haydn Maley – RS Sophomore
285 lbs – Trevor Rasmussen – RS Senior

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 07:59:11 PM »
Tough to say.

I'd say Woods, Griffith, van der Merwe, Traxler, and Maley are the only certain starters. I also assume the coaches will want to redshirt Abas.

Offline Craig

• State Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 11:38:45 PM »
Stanford athletes were talking team trophy for next year's championships....do you think it could happen?

Offline goStanford18

• Redshirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 07:06:46 AM »
Stanford athletes were talking team trophy for next year's championships....do you think it could happen?

I think a team would have to get close to 75 points to bring home a team trophy next year. It’s pretty far-fetched, but the perfect storm could do it.

How I imagine we’d get 70+ points:

125: Townsell - has a very good tournament, goes 3-2 with a couple of pins to put up 6 points
133: Young - not sure if he can hold this weight, but would need a couple points from him; 2 points
141: Woods - 25 points; champ with bonus. He can beat Lee and Demas. Eierman and Yianni would need to redshirt and/or bump up.
149: van der Merwe - mid AA potential if he wrestles the tournament of his life; I think he has a decent shot to be a low AA. Throw in 6 points here.
157: Mandarino - low AA potential; 5 points
165: Griffith - mid to high AA with bonus; 15 points

I’m not sure if we can qualify 174 or 184.

197: Traxler - mid AA; 11 points
285: Maley - couple wins for a couple of points; 2 points 

That’d put the team at 72 if I did the math right. Unlikely, but not impossible!

I think a top 10 finish is what the team should strive for next season (around 50+ points). A team trophy may be in the reach when Jaden Abas comes off redshirt in 2021. 4 very high placing AA’s in Woods, Abas, Griffith, and Traxler can put up 60-70. The rest of the cast will have to give that extra 10-15 points.

Offline BroncoSaurus

• OW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 10:43:32 AM »
No disrespect intended to Stanford - I think it was excellent that they won the PAC 12 this year - but I don't see Stanford as the best team in the PAC 12 next season.  I think Arizona State will, again, be top dogs in the PAC 12 next season.  After all they redshirted several starters this season plus they lost Kordell Norfleet at 184 lbs due to injury this last season.  ASU's lineup - as I see it for 2020 - is likely to be:

125 - Brandon Courtney - RS SO OR Adam Busiello - True FR

133 - Josiah Kline - JR OR Cleveland Belton - True FR

141 - Cory Crooks - RS JR

149 - Josh Maruca - RS SR or Jacori Teemer - RS FR

157 - Josh Maruca - RS SR or Jacori Teemer - RS FR

165 - Josh Shields - RS SR

175 - Anthony Valencia - RS JR

184 - Zahid Valencia - RS SR

197 - Kordell Norfleet - Junior

285 - Tanner Hall -RS Senior

That probable lineup for ASU for next season, IMO, is going to be very tough to beat - particularly by another PAC 12 team.