Author Topic: PAC 12 about to lose their NCAA automatic qualifyier status  (Read 438 times)

Offline BroncoSaurus

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
Since Boise State dropped their wrestling program in 2017 the PAC 12 was given two years to add a replacement for Boise State to stay at 6 teams.  In that two year period the PAC 12 has literally done NOTHING to address that problem.   The NCAA has meetings scheduled for June this year, i.e., NEXT MONTH, and I repeat the PAC 12 has had two years to find a 6th team - and they have done NOTHING AT ALL.

Here's an article on this - which IMO is FAR too kind to the PAC 12 in general.   The lack of leadership by the PAC 12 is quite frankly disgraceful on this.

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2019/05/03/pac12-wrestling-expansion/
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
Re: PAC 12 about to lose their NCAA automatic qualifyier status
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 08:17:51 PM »
Quote from: Theresa Gould, Senior Associate Commissioner

They’re committed to being competitive in the sport and competing to win championships and bring some of the best wrestlers in the country to our campuses.

What a joke, if the conference was committed there wouldn't be only 3 schools competing in wrestling.  From a conference perspective, they wish wrestling would go away altogether with no administrative burden.  Conferfence admin is just waiting for those schools to affiliate with the WAC and their headache goes away.

Offline BroncoSaurus

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 09:42:33 AM »
The Western Athletic Conference - as I'm sure you know - does NOT have Wrestling as one of their Conference sports.

What galls me is that the PAC 12 has known this day was coming for two years and they have done nothing at all about this yet as you pointed out "They're committed to being competitive in the sport and competing to win championships and bring some of the best wrestlers in the country to our campuses."   WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP...........it's hard to believe they can say that with a straight face.

As the article I referenced in my previous post points out the NCAA will be determining NEXT MONTH (June 2019) whether or not the PAC 12's Automatic Qualifying status is revoked or not.    Nothing like waiting till the last minute and then trying to say you are "committed" to the sport - all the while when you have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR TWO YEARS.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 10:36:05 AM »
Well, it it it it it it it just sort of of uh uh uh snuck  uh uh up  uh uh on n n n n n  them. 

mspartartartartartartartartart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 03:16:29 PM »
The Western Athletic Conference - as I'm sure you know - does NOT have Wrestling as one of their Conference sports.

What galls me is that the PAC 12 has known this day was coming for two years and they have done nothing at all about this yet as you pointed out "They're committed to being competitive in the sport and competing to win championships and bring some of the best wrestlers in the country to our campuses."   WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP...........it's hard to believe they can say that with a straight face.

As the article I referenced in my previous post points out the NCAA will be determining NEXT MONTH (June 2019) whether or not the PAC 12's Automatic Qualifying status is revoked or not.    Nothing like waiting till the last minute and then trying to say you are "committed" to the sport - all the while when you have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR TWO YEARS.

I suspect Fresno's move to Big 12 is a clue.  The obvious choice was a PAC 12 application.  I can't imagine a PAC 12 rejection having only 6 at the time.  What did Fresno know ?  Or did the PAC 12 commission steer a do not apply message?

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 05:29:34 PM »
I'm surprised all these west coast states haven't gotten rid of HS wrestling.  Tough being a fan here for sure.

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 12:07:43 PM »

I suspect Fresno's move to Big 12 is a clue.  The obvious choice was a PAC 12 application.  I can't imagine a PAC 12 rejection having only 6 at the time.  What did Fresno know ?  Or did the PAC 12 commission steer a do not apply message?

Fresno State brought back their wrestling program and joined the Big 12 PRIOR to when Boise State's wrestling program was scrapped by the now former Boise State school president (who lied about the whole thing), i.e., Bob Kustra.   So Fresno State was committed to joining the Big 12 prior to the surprise elimination of the Boise State program.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 01:39:33 PM »

I didn't suggest Fresno could have closed the gap AFTER Boise left.  I'm curious to know why Fresno opted for BIG 12 versus PAC 12.  Surely the PAC 12 coaches would want expansion.  Did they push Fresno away? Or, was it that Fresno didn't want anything to do with PAC 12?

Fresno State brought back their wrestling program and joined the Big 12 PRIOR to when Boise State's wrestling program was scrapped by the now former Boise State school president (who lied about the whole thing), i.e., Bob Kustra.   So Fresno State was committed to joining the Big 12 prior to the surprise elimination of the Boise State program.

Offline BroncoSaurus

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2019, 08:27:04 AM »

I didn't suggest Fresno could have closed the gap AFTER Boise left.  I'm curious to know why Fresno opted for BIG 12 versus PAC 12.  Surely the PAC 12 coaches would want expansion.  Did they push Fresno away? Or, was it that Fresno didn't want anything to do with PAC 12?

[/quote]

I wasn't saying you did suggest that.  I was simply trying to explain the timing of these incidents.   It's very obvious to me (if nobody else) that the PAC 12 as a conference did NOTHING to re-add Fresno State as an affiliate school in wrestling again (they were in the PAC 12 for wrestling a long time ago).   Fresno State made the right decision for themselves by joining the Big 12.   They are in a much more stable wrestling conference as a result. 

I don't know the answers to all of your many questions here and frankly I doubt many would know the answers to those questions.     All I do know is Fresno State would have been an ideal replacement for Boise State two years ago but Fresno State was already committed to joining the Big 12.

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »

I wasn't saying you did suggest that.  I was simply trying to explain the timing of these incidents.   It's very obvious to me (if nobody else) that the PAC 12 as a conference did NOTHING to re-add Fresno State as an affiliate school in wrestling again (they were in the PAC 12 for wrestling a long time ago).   Fresno State made the right decision for themselves by joining the Big 12.   They are in a much more stable wrestling conference as a result. 

I don't know the answers to all of your many questions here and frankly I doubt many would know the answers to those questions.     All I do know is Fresno State would have been an ideal replacement for Boise State two years ago but Fresno State was already committed to joining the Big 12.
[/quote]

If what you say is true about Fresno making the right choice to join the Big XII... why are you so sure they werent invited to join the Pac-10 as well?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline BroncoSaurus

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 09:42:24 AM »
There are several reasons.   People who have followed PAC 12 wrestling for a long time have known that Fresno State - who was in the PAC 12 for wrestling for a couple of years - simply had a poor reputation in general as far as the PAC 12 was concerned.

Secondly there is the FACT that Fresno State WAS NOT INVITED to re-join the PAC 12.     If they had been there would have been SOME news about that somewhere.    If there was news of that then I certainly never heard or saw anything about that occurring.

Now turnabout is fair play - I'm told - so why are YOU so sure that Fresno State WAS invited to re-join the PAC 12?

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 11:54:14 AM »
There are several reasons.   People who have followed PAC 12 wrestling for a long time have known that Fresno State - who was in the PAC 12 for wrestling for a couple of years - simply had a poor reputation in general as far as the PAC 12 was concerned.

Secondly there is the FACT that Fresno State WAS NOT INVITED to re-join the PAC 12.     If they had been there would have been SOME news about that somewhere.    If there was news of that then I certainly never heard or saw anything about that occurring.

Now turnabout is fair play - I'm told - so why are YOU so sure that Fresno State WAS invited to re-join the PAC 12?
Last one first. I never said they did.

As to invites, I wouuldnt have any idea. Perhaps there were informal communications betweent he conference and FSU that were not made public. And perhaps FSU didnt like the terms of re-admission and decided that the Big XII was just a better choice and therefore never made a formal request for admission.  Frankly I fimd that more plausable than the conference just ignoring them. But thats just supposition at this point.

I dont believe a lack of news necessarily proves any "FACT"s though.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
Not only did the PAC-12 go silent, but I would guess that ASU and OSU, at the very least, would have been making noises about this as they would want their guaranteed seeds.  Maybe they have plans to move.  I don't think that the PAC-12 wants wrestling.  We are west coast here and ultra PC and wrestling just doesn't fit that mode.  Combat sport - yucky!!   

I really think that it has more to do with admins not really supporting wrestling at both the universities and in the PAC -12. 

mspart

Offline BroncoSaurus

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 10:18:37 AM »
Not only did the PAC-12 go silent, but I would guess that ASU and OSU, at the very least, would have been making noises about this as they would want their guaranteed seeds.  Maybe they have plans to move.  I don't think that the PAC-12 wants wrestling.  We are west coast here and ultra PC and wrestling just doesn't fit that mode.  Combat sport - yucky!!   

I really think that it has more to do with admins not really supporting wrestling at both the universities and in the PAC -12. 

mspart

You are almost certainly correct about your comment about the PAC 12 not wanting wrestling.   That's become very clear to a LOT of people in the last 10 years or so.   Which is why I wrote here about a month ago that I suspected in the long run the remaining PAC 12 teams would be absorbed by the Big 12.  However I wrote that in reference to my belief that the Cal Poly program would likely fold as their team has just plain been awful for a very long time.

Offline BroncoSaurus

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 10:23:19 AM »

Last one first. I never said they did.

As to invites, I wouuldnt have any idea. Perhaps there were informal communications betweent he conference and FSU that were not made public. And perhaps FSU didnt like the terms of re-admission and decided that the Big XII was just a better choice and therefore never made a formal request for admission.  Frankly I fimd that more plausable than the conference just ignoring them. But thats just supposition at this point.

I dont believe a lack of news necessarily proves any "FACT"s though.

I didn't say that you DID say that............but you absolutely IMPLIED it.

A "self-evident fact"...............is a fact.