Author Topic: PAC 12 about to lose their NCAA automatic qualifyier status  (Read 1972 times)

Offline BroncoSaurus

• Most Pins
    • View Profile
Re: PAC 12 about to lose their NCAA automatic qualifyier status
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2019, 01:53:09 PM »
In the Ortiz era, Arizona State ducked Boise pretty regularly, so scheduling every team wasn't required by the conference.

I remember that Jason.   You have a much better memory than I do - clearly.   Ortiz  hated the thought of traveling to Boise and he did everything he could to avoid having to do that.   Even after he left ASU I think it was still several more years before ASU ever traveled back to Boise.

Ortiz was the ASU head coach from 2001 until he was dismissed in 2009.   When Ortiz took over they already had a dual with Boise State scheduled at Tempe in 2002.   Boise State and ASU dualed each other in 2003 at the National Duals tournament (but not at Boise that year).   ASU and Boise State did not dual each other again until 2012 (3 years after Ortiz was fired) and that dual was - again - in Tempe, AZ.  The only years - as far as I can tell - where Boise State hosted ASU was 2013, 2015 and 2017.

So you are correct that there is no requirement that every team that competes in wrestling in the PAC 12 must schedule a dual against every other team.
Never argue with a fool.  They bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.  -Anonymous

Offline Jason Bryant

• Global Moderator
  • World Silver
  • Thou shalt not fist to the back
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mattalkonline.com
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 12:33:27 AM »
I'll bet the PAC 12 is not require dual meets between member schools and all they will ask of UALR is to show up for their one day tournament.

At some point UALR moves over to the SoCon.

Little Rock does not want the SoCon. They wanted the Big 12 and some of the AD's objected. Then the MAC absorbed the EWL and they had too many moving parts for this realignment cycle to take a 16th member. I'd expect the MAC to re-settle and pick up Little Rock eventually. Perhaps the Big 12 will waver in a few years.

My gut tells me the Pac 12 and the Big 12 heads will meet up and divvy up the teams more geographically in a few years. The Pac 12 will not accept Cal Baptist, too much of a difference in the school compared to its existing members. CBU also does not compete on Sundays. I'm also wondering if a Mountain Pacific Sports Federation model could be in the works, although I know the Pac 12 and Big 12 both like having their name on a wrestling conference championship (for now).

Jason, why do you think Fresno ended up in the Big XII and not the PAC 12?

Simple, Fresno State didn't want to go into the Pac-12.
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it. -- Mitch Hedberg

Offline ViseGrip

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2019, 04:43:20 PM »
I'll bet the PAC 12 is not require dual meets between member schools and all they will ask of UALR is to show up for their one day tournament.

At some point UALR moves over to the SoCon.

Little Rock does not want the SoCon. They wanted the Big 12 and some of the AD's objected. Then the MAC absorbed the EWL and they had too many moving parts for this realignment cycle to take a 16th member. I'd expect the MAC to re-settle and pick up Little Rock eventually. Perhaps the Big 12 will waver in a few years.

My gut tells me the Pac 12 and the Big 12 heads will meet up and divvy up the teams more geographically in a few years. The Pac 12 will not accept Cal Baptist, too much of a difference in the school compared to its existing members. CBU also does not compete on Sundays. I'm also wondering if a Mountain Pacific Sports Federation model could be in the works, although I know the Pac 12 and Big 12 both like having their name on a wrestling conference championship (for now).

Jason, why do you think Fresno ended up in the Big XII and not the PAC 12?

Simple, Fresno State didn't want to go into the Pac-12.

Were they invited?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all that want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics" -Thomas Sowell