Author Topic: New rules scenario  (Read 161 times)

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
New rules scenario
« on: October 31, 2019, 06:47:01 AM »
Scenario #1:

Wrestler A vs. Wrestler B.

We're in the third period.

Wrestler A is on Top down by 4 points.

One minute in, Wrestler B is warned for stalling

Wrestler A continues to work for the pin/turn......eventually, with less than 10 seconds left turns Wrestler B....gets a full 5 count with 5 seconds left....and while you're checking for a pin, you notice the laces are untied......few seconds go by, the buzzer goes off....no sound.....

Scenario #2:

Wrestler A vs. Wrestler B.

We're in the third period.

Wrestler A is on Top down by 4 points.

One minute in, Wrestler B is warned for stalling

Wrestler A continues to work for the pin/turn......eventually, with less than 10 seconds left turns Wrestler B....gets a full 5 count with 5 seconds left....and while you're checking for a pin, you notice the laces are untied. With 2 seconds left, Wrestler A lets Wrestler B up to his base.

-------------------

Are the outcomes the same in both scenarios? Why or why not?

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
Re: New rules scenario
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 07:24:16 AM »
Scenario #1.....at the end....says, "no sound" ====should say "no pin."

Online AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 09:27:55 PM »
I am assuming that wrestler B's laces are the ones that are united. In both cases, you would call the stalling and award the point, allowing the action to continue. In case 1, we are going to overtime. Case 2, if no other scoring in the last 2 seconds, we are going to overtime.

Here's one for you:

Same situation, but as A is turning B, you notice that A's laces are untied. What do you do?
If you want respect, be respectful.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 06:52:41 AM »
AKIN,

Interesting....our association....we're told....we don't award it until there is a lull in the action....therefore in Scenario 1.....the match is over....there is NO stalling....treat it like a headgear has fallen off. It doesn't become stalling until the kid is actually tying his shoes. Laces undone didn't impact the wrestling, time is over....no need to call the stalling.

However, in scenario 2...we would call stalling since there is some stoppage to the action when the wrestler lets him up. Only in scenario 2 do we go to OT.

In your scenario.....we're told to keep the wrestling going, award near fall points, then penalize wrestler for stalling,

Very interesting stuff.......

Online AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 03:42:36 PM »
It will be interesting to see how different states interpret it. The rule books states you call stalling without hesitation. The new rule says laces coming undone is stalling. So my opinion, until the NFHS addresses it specifically, is to call it as soon as I see it. We are having another state leadership conference call tonight, where I hope we will determine how, as a state we will call these situations. I'll let you know.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 08:05:16 PM »
Thank you. Personally, I just hope people continue to tape their laces. I don't foresee it being a problem personally.....but the hypotheticals do need to be addressed because you know it will happen eventually.

Online AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 08:44:15 PM »
I plan on strongly encouraging the wrestlers to continue to tape their laces, as well.

Offline New2TheGameNYRef

• Regional Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »
AKIN,

update on what your state is doing...

Online AKIN

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 02:08:23 PM »
Still working on it. We are revamping our Rules Interpreter role at the state level. Until we are done with that, our state president wants to hold off on making any decisions.