Author Topic: The Playoff  (Read 288 times)

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
  • 3 out 4 voices in my head want to sleep
    • View Profile
The Playoff
« on: December 08, 2019, 05:09:40 PM »
#1 LSU vs. #4 Oklahoma

#2 Ohio State vs. #3 Clemson

Then the championship.

All 4 have stellar QBs, RBs. lightning fast WOs and a defensive superstar.  We're in store for 3 great games, I just hope all 3 live up to the hype.

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
Re: The Playoff
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 07:52:37 PM »
And if this year were under the old system (pre-playoff), the undefeated defending champion would be out of the running for the title.

While I would prefer an eight team playoff, this system is much better than the previous one, although I wish the title game were on a Saturday instead of a Monday. 

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 10:06:15 AM »
An eight team playoff would still exclude the Florida Gators.  The CFP poll seemed to give credit for championship wins, but losses in the championship game didn't hurt teams much, if at all.

I prefer the rankings in the AP poll this year.

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 11:37:49 AM »
So Jalen Hurts, by getting out of Alabama, is now in the running to win the National Championship and Alabama is not.  Interesting juxtaposition eh?

mspart

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 04:13:38 PM »
So Jalen Hurts, by getting out of Alabama, is now in the running to win the National Championship and Alabama is not.  Interesting juxtaposition eh?

mspart

The story could only have been beaten if Oklahoma had the opportunity to go head to head with Alabama.

If Saban every writes his autobiography, he couldn't avoid commenting about his position on those QB's.  Obviously his choice 2 years ago got him a national title, but did it cost him 2 others ?

Offline mspart

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 05:22:49 PM »
I don't know.  Hurts was stalling it seemed to me.  Freshman was great.   Sophomore, good, Tua better in the final game.  But he has his team in National Championship contention this year, and without Switzer thank goodness!!

mspart

Offline Cougar1

• LXP
  • Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 08:29:09 PM »
I like OK but I don’t think they are up to the competition. Clemson/LSU should be a great game.
“Once abolish the God and the government becomes the God.”

― G.K. Chesterton

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 02:42:36 PM »
Heisman Finalists

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow
Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields
Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts
Ohio State defensive end Chase Young.

I think Burrow, LSU takes the award, though I think Young, Ohio State DE is the most dominant player in the NCAA. Young hurts any chance Field has and split the OSU vote

No 3-peat for OU.

The best QB in the playoffs, Trevor, Lawrence, Clemson, isn't even a finalist because of his slump earlier in the season.

Offline RYou

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 09:08:54 AM »
The Joe Burrow Show.

Did Urban Meyer blow it ?

Offline Bob H.

• Get a Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 11:41:56 AM »
According to the announcers last night, Burrow was only a 2 star recruit out of high school.  He was ok last year, but not great.  He blossomed under the new system.

Kirk Herbstreit changes his mind as often as a politician.  When he was broadcasting the B1G championship game, he went on and on about how great Ohio State was, that they played the toughest schedule in the U.S. and should be ranked #1.  Then he was on the Clemson bandwagon after they beat tOSU.  Last night he stated that Clemson gave LSU their toughest test.  Well, that was true for a quarter, but not after that.  The Gators and LSU were tied at 28 after three quarters, then LSU pulled away 42-28.  LSU also had other tough games, but they basically outscored everyone.  This was the best I've seen their defense play.

This was a dominant year for the SEC.  8-2 in bowl games, including the championship.  Georgia was probably the 4th best team in the country (sorry, Oklahoma), with the Gators about 5th or 6th. Auburn beat Oregon, who may finish 4th or 5th.  I'm not arguing that a second SEC team should have been in the playoffs.  LSU already beat all of the top teams in the conference (Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Auburn and Texas A&M), so someone else deserved a shot.  Unfortunately, they weren't up to the challenge.

LSU loses a lot (including Burrow) this year, so it will be interesting to see how good they are next season.  Clemson may be the favorite next year.

On the plus side, I think this was the most entertaining playoff we've had.  Clemson played in two tremendous games and it was obvious which were the top three teams in the country.  Let's hope it is as good next year.